Artist x Child!Abused!Reader (x Huntress) (fluff) 2

"Tag, you're it!"

I tapped Carmina on her waist before I took off running. I giggled as I ran through the boneyard and into the murky fog. I could hear Carmina let out a gleeful laugh from behind as she ran after me. Her and I played here all the time. She was my best friend. She was like the mother I never had.

Carmina's hurried footsteps simmered down the further I playfully ran away from her. We were just having fun but I seemed to have gone too far. When I couldn't hear her anymore, I stopped running and turned to look for her. She was nowhere to be seen. All around me was the thick fog that I could hardly even see through. Tears welled in my eyes as I began to panic.

"Carmina? Carmie?" I called.

No response.

I whimpered and began to cry, frantically searching through the fog. The further I went, the darker it got. My tears felt cold and stale against the chilly air. Just as I was about to give up, I spotted a clearing up ahead. I sped over to it and felt the fog around waft away to reveal a different realm. I stood in awe as I now found myself in a dark forest.

"Carmina...? Carmina?" I cried out again.

I wandered the wooded area, getting more and more lost. I held my face in my hands as I sobbed loudly. What was I going to do?

Just when luck was about to run dry, the faint sound of a woman humming filled the air. I moved my hands from my teary face and looked around the forest with wide eyes. The humming grew louder as whoever it was got closer. As the woman's voice got clearer, it suddenly came to a halt. I froze up when I felt a shadow completely engulf my small frame. I shakily turned on the spot, meeting the gaze of a woman clad in the mask of a hare. She towered over me like the many trees around us.

"Child?" She said.

I was so emotional and scared that I practically threw myself at her. I wrapped my little arms around her waist and cried into her stomach. The woman immediately scooped me up into her own arms and held me close. I clung to her neck and tried to stop crying but couldn't.

"I—want—Carmie." I said through panicked sobs.

"Shh, child..." the woman whispered.

My chest heaved as I breathed hard. She looked down at me with a frown on her face from under the mask. She held me close to her chest in her warm embrace. I rested my head on her shoulder as I slowly regained control of my breathing.

"Little child..." the woman cooed.

I took my head off her shoulder and gazed into her black eyes through the mask.

"Who are you?" I squeaked.

"Anna." She answered.

I murmured out my own name to her sadly.

"I'm lost." I whimpered. "Can you help me?"

Anna too stared into my own eyes for a moment. I kept my grip snug around her neck.

"Yes." She replied.

"Thank you." I sniffled.

Anna began walking through the forest with me in her arms.

"Where did you come from?" She asked gruffly.

"I was with Carmina at her place... the grave place." I stammered.

Anna didn't reply but kept her gait strong. I relaxed against her chest and wiped my tears away.

"Do not be scared, child. I am here now." She said.

"Thank you, Anna." I repeated.

She had no idea how much those words truely did mean.

Anna went through a large familiar gate that I knew all too well. She kept walking with me in her arms until we were deep into the thick fog. I froze up again against her from fear but she was quick to soothe me with her comforting words. She kept powering through until another clearing revealed itself in the near distance. I gripped onto her neck nervously as she approached it. An overwhelming amount of relief washed over me when the fog cleared to reveal the boneyard.

"We're here!" I squealed. Anna's bare feet walked along the sand as she wandered the quiet area. "Carmina?" I called again.

It took a few moments but the Artist soon popped out from behind a large rock. Her black eyes seemed to light up at the sight of me as she came bounding over. A bright smile met her pretty face as she crouched down with open arms.

"Carmie!"

Anna set me down onto the ground and I rushed over into Carmina's chest. She let out a relieved laugh as her arms wrapped around my little body.

"I'm sorry I got lost. I was so scared." I babbled.

She smiled apologetically down at me as she ran her inky hand through my hair. Carmina gave me one last squeeze before jumping up to her height. We both looked to Anna who still stood before us.

"Carmie, this is Anna. She helped me." I said, hugging her leg.

Carmina smiled at the other woman, who's lips peeled back to reveal her own. I pulled myself away from her leg to collide with Anna's chest.

"Oof!" She yelped.

I hugged her tightly, her own strong arms snaking around me.

"Thank you, Anna. I'll see you soon." I grinned.

"Goodbye, child. We will meet again." Anna kept her smile.

I carefully broke away from her, going back to clinging onto Carmina's dress. The two women said no words to each other, but I could tell they left on good terms. Anna disbanded from the realm quietly, disappearing into the fog.

I looked up at the Artist with an innocent smile. She smiled back, running a hand over my head affectionately. I then gazed at the fog longingly, wondering what Anna would get up to.

"See you soon."