33

Professor Slughorn walked up to Skylar. He was wearing a green velvet cloak with an all black formal two piece underneath.
"Hello Miss.Miller" his breath smelt of fire whiskey already, other Professors were here as well. Most using the time to causal drink with their colleagues.

"Hello" she said crossing her hands behind her back

"Mr.Jackburn isn't around?" Skylar tried to not be annoyed that his first question was about her date

"I'm not sure where he is. He was invited" she said sharply

"I see, not with Miss.Evans this year?" Again another question about her date. Professor Slughorn was true to his character, he cared a lot about appearances and how you could enhance your own with the company you chose.

"I'll talk to you later on" she said dismissing him. She walked from Slughorn's questions and sat at a table with her name on it. She looked to the left of her name Rowan Jackburn was written down. She looked to her right and saw Remus Lupin. She wasn't aware that he was invited this year

"You look wonderful" speaking of, he showed up behind her. He pulled out his own seat and turned to face her

"I didn't realize you were invited, congratulations" she said knowing it was for his brain like her own. Slughorn placed students in categories at tables. Her table was filled with students who were brilliant meaning Lily would be seated here with her date. Remus came from a ministry family, his dad being a high ranking member of the Department of the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. Even with his dad's reputation it wasn't interesting enough to get him accepted to this party.

"I was just a week ago. I would have mentioned it but it never came up" Remus was always dressed well for someone with a frugal family. His dad's department didn't pay as well as her brothers, being a newer one. He found items thrifted most often, trying to save money. She was glad to purchase what he needed for school this year, knowing he could have new things for once was something she was proud of. He was dressed in a vintage red velvet suit with a black bow tie that matched his personality well. He may need items that are thrifted and cheaper, but they were often vintage. Old like his soul.

"Who's your date?" She asked looking for the name beside his

"I went solo. I know it's not the normal for this party but the only ones who I could imagine taking with me would...not fit in" he said

"I'm sure those two would find a way to make this interesting. Maybe you should have invited them" she said smirking

"I could have brought one and you could have brought the other" he said looking at her with his eyebrows raised

She sighed, leaning back into her chair
"Is he ok?"

"I'm honestly shocked that he's taken this long from bothering Rowan and from being next to you" visible Remus thought to himself. Sirius has been following the couple around, not trusting Rowan.
"Speaking of where is he?"

"He likes to show up late, everywhere. I didn't want to wait for him"

"I see" Remus said curiously

"Say your peace" Skylar said, she waited for a lecture that was soon to come.

"Would you like to dance?" He asked offering his hand to her instead.

She eyed it suspiciously but took his outstretched offering and got out of her seat to join him for a dance. Remus was as much a gentleman as you'd expect him to be. His soul is old, he likes to dance to soft music and read quiet books. He collects vintage pieces he finds when thrifting his clothing and gives history facts to anyone who's willing to listen. His friendship means a lot to Skylar. She knows that if she messed up with Sirius, pissed James off, he would still be around to support her.

Remus dipped Skylar, careful to not drop her, and then brought her back to her straight back. She wished that the world wasn't so prejudice. Remus was afraid to find love, so he chose not to. Skylar knew of plenty girls and guys who found him attractive, but he refused each one. Afraid of what they would say when they found out he was a werewolf. He's so afraid to hurt those who're close to him that he hides away when he transforms. She wished there was a way to comfort him in that painful 24 hour moment.

Skylar continued to dance with Remus, Rowan never showed. She didn't know what kept him, she also found herself not caring. He wasn't going to ruin a nice night for her, she had a better option than him by her side.

The last part of the party was dinner.
When the main course arrived, Remus and Skylar went back to their table where Lily was with Severus already. He was so socially awkward. He didn't offer to dance with her once, something she knew Lily liked to do. He stayed by her side, afraid to be without her.

"You look pretty" Lily said to Skylar bringing her thoughts back to the moment

"Thank you" she said smiling "red's always looked good on you"

"You too" Lily said "red hair suits you better"

"I'm starting to think so too" Skylar said pulling her red locks forward. Her hair was softly curled, she added glitter to her curls making them shine brightly.

"Any plans for the holiday?" Lily asked

Skylar was happy for the casual conversation. Plates filled with roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, fresh baked rolls and the most fragrant bowl of cheese casserole sat in front of the group at the table. Her mouth was watering just from the aromas alone. If Rowan was here she knew he would plate her veggies and maybe chicken. He wasn't here though.

Skylar grabbed something from each pile, filling her plate fully with whatever she wanted. Lily smiled and so did Remus. They enjoyed seeing their friend acting herself, even if it was only for the one night when she was alone.

"I'm going to see my brother" she said "how about you?"

"Seeing my parents and sister" she said back
Skylar knew her relationship with her sister was strained, she felt sorrow for her old friend. Skylar couldn't imagine her life without her brother in it.

"That will be fun" Skylar said tasting the casserole and practically moaning

Remus chuckled at her reaction

Then the door slammed open. Skylar turned to see who was coming in, she should have known he would make his entrance now. When she was finally feeling good.

Rowan swayed coming towards her table. She knew before he even got close where he was before.
He pulled his chair out and slammed his body into his seat. He smelt of alcohol, a mix of a few things if she had to guess. Adrian Rowan and Quill enjoyed finding ways of sneaking liquor into their system usually finding an abandoned room to drink in together.

Rowan looked at her massively filled plate and scowled at Skylar. He didn't have to say anything for her to feel disgusted with herself all over again. She pushed her plate away after barely having a taste of the delicious meals and sat still with her hands on her lap.
"Sorry I'm late" he said to the table

Lily and Remus shared the same disgusted look as Rowan had. Only theirs was at him and not at her. No one said anything to him.

"You look fuckable I'm glad you put that food away" Rowan said grabbing a roll himself and eating it like a slob. When he was intoxicated, all his manors went away. Even worse was his calm demeanor was gone with it too.
"Except your hair and eyes are the wrong color"

"We should leave" Skylar said not wanting the group they were sitting with to feel uncomfortable.

"I just got here" he said annoyed

"Skylar your plate is getting cold" Lily said "you were enjoying your food you should keep eating it"

"I'm fine" she said back