68

The walk to the Headmaster's office was dreadful, both Sirius and Skylar wishing they had more time to relax together before she would be gone for the weekend. Being passed curfew, the letter summoning Skylar was both for her and for Sirius to keep them out of trouble. Most of the Professors knew that Skylar was going away for a few days with James, but prefects and Head of Houses didn't. Ravenclaw's prefect Dion Cubs was walking the floor when Sirius and Skylar bumped into him. He was with their Head of House Ramsey Gilly, both Quidditch players. Dion was a beater, Ramsey was their team Captain. Dion was a tall, muscular male with hair dark as Sirius'. Skin light like Skylar's with eyes dark and a square jaw he looked like a typical jock. Ramsey, on the other hand, had a childlike quality to his face. Tall, like Sirius and Dion, skin a lovely shade of brown with curls coming out of every angle of his head. His smile was soft and his dark eyes were mischievous. Skylar has had run ins with Ramsey countless times, he's always been polite. Often helping her find books in the library when she was stumped with homework, being a grade above her he didn't mind lending his knowledge.

"Skylar Miller" Dion said, acting nonchalant "I was hoping to catch a pretty girl out past curfew, this is even better than I was asking for" looking Skylar up and down, he winked with his arms crossed over his chest attempting to show off his muscles.

Sirius stared at Ramsey dumbfounded
"You've got some nerve"

Dion ignored Sirius, eyes laid on Skylar only
"I won't give you a detention if you ask me nicely"

"You won't give me one either way I have a note, for me and my boyfriend" Skylar said opening her note and shoving it in Dion's face.

"What a sad day it is to not be able to read" Dion smirked, moving his head away from Skylar's note.

"You can't hear very well either" Skylar said crossing her arms this time. Sirius was closing in on Skylar, if he was any closer he would morph into her.

"I can hear your voice just fine, my pretty girl" Dion said words that Rowan used often with Skylar. My pretty girl was his term of endearment with her, hearing this made Skylar flinch slightly. Not enough for Dion or Ramsey to notice, but enough that Sirius did.

"She gave you plenty of notice before this happened" Sirius said, feeling a rush of adrenaline. Skylar was a jealous lover, as much as Sirius was. Both didn't like the sight of someone bringing unwanted attention to their partner.

"You are known to like Quidditch players, want to add another to your ever growing list?" Dion said, still paying Sirius no mind

Sirius picked his wand out of his cloak and pointed it directly into Dion's vision. He used a spell that Skylar knew to be a Conjunctivitis Curse, it affects the target's eye sight.

Dion fell back with the force from Sirius' hex, Ramsey laughed hysterically.
"Nice" Ramsey said leaning on the wall "enjoy your day Skylar"

Sirius took Skylar's hand and continued walking with his blood red headed girlfriend again.
"I could have handled that" Skylar said feeling her pride push through.

Sirius was her perfect companion, he didn't take offense when she had moments like this.
"I know you could have" he said rubbing his thumb on her hand "but sometimes it's ok to let me handle situations. He wasn't going to back off"

"Pretty girl was a term Rowan used" Skylar confessed, curing Sirius' curiosity "I hadn't heard it in a while, so my body reacted poorly to the term is all"

In the office was Dumbledore, Remus, James and Lily. Sirius and Skylar made it as Dumbledore was setting up the fireplace for the two students to travel through. Sirius hoped that Dumbledore would have a change of heart when the time came, but there wasn't anything he could do technically it was his guardian's choice.

"Hello Skylar, Sirius" Dumbledore said behind his desk.

Their friends surrounded the Headmaster's desk, Lily stood next to James who stood with Remus. Skylar walked to each friend and hugged them tightly before going back to Sirius who was more solemn as time passed. She promised to letter him immediately when the results came from her trial, but it didn't take any of the sting away. Sirius prayed to Merlin she would have an easy, successful trial.

Skylar kissed Sirius softly, though both of them wanted to deepen their moment. Sirius placed his hand in Skylar's brown hair and the other around her back, holding her tightly to his chest.
"Be safe" he said to her, hoping she would stay safe at the Potter's until they met again. It may be only a few days apart, but if it was anything like the last weekend she was away it would feel like an eternity.

"I will be" Skylar whispered, her arms wrapped around her boyfriend's back.

"Mr.Potter, if I may call you James?" Dumbledore said breaking the silence in the room. James nodded his head "you may go through the fireplace, your parents are waiting for you"

James walked over to his friends and hugged them, including Lily who let James embrace her. Skylar knew James would be gushing about this moment later with her in his room. Sirius whispered in James' ear before his best friend walked away from him. Skylar didn't need to hear to know what was said, her safety to Sirius was important and with the look of determination on James' face it was obvious that their best friend felt the same.

James waved his friends goodbye and walked into the fireplace. Watching him leave made the moment more real for Skylar. Not letting herself feel the effects of the trial until this afternoon, she felt her hands begin to shake.
Liam would fight for her, if he was who he was before. The new Liam wouldn't, which was why Skylar was shocked to hear he wanted a trial. She hasn't wrote to him or read any letter he sent her way since the day she lost trust in him. She found herself wondering what their apartment looked like, if it was as dirty and depressing as it was before.

"Skylar, it's your turn" Dumbledore said "must not keep your brother waiting"

Skylar jolted in Sirius' embrace
"My brother? Why would he be waiting for me?" Sirius' hold on Skylar tightened.

"I can't send you to the Potter's. They are not your guardians yet" Dumbledore waved his hand over his fireplace, changing the location of where Skylar would be going.

"She can't go to her brother" Sirius said, Lily and Remus started arguing the same thing to Dumbledore who stood silently listening to the students' worries.

"I understand how you all feel. With any luck, this will be the last time Skylar has to see her him. Believe in your friend's strength" Dumbledore said, using his hand to silence the crowd.

Sirius kissed Skylar again, more demanding this time. As if he was worried this would be the last moment they had together. She knew he was worried about that because she was too.
"I don't like this" Skylar said

"You are brave" Sirius started off with "strong" he tucked her hair behind her ear "smart" he kissed her forehead, lingering for a moment "don't let him scare you. Find a way to the Potter's immediately"

Skylar nodded her shaking head and then began walking to the fireplace, her destination being different than she planned all morning. James would be waiting at his fireplace for her, only to realize the same thing everyone here knew. She couldn't go directly to his house, her guardian was her brother still.
Skylar looked at Remus, Lily, then Sirius once more before letting the flames of the Headmaster's portal take her to her brother.

Sirius watched until Skylar disappeared, until the flames did as well. He was close to the fireplace, having almost gone inside after her but Remus stopped him before he was able to enter.
"You'll get expelled" Remus whispered to his best friend "she is going to need us...you...when she gets back"

"She's with her brother. I told her I would keep her from going back" Sirius said defeated. Skylar wasn't with him anymore, he didn't need to fake confidence or strength around her anymore. The feeling of helplessness threatened to drag Sirius into a deep depression. The last time he felt this useless was when he left his mother's home after being kicked out, leaving behind Regulus who suffered dearly like he did.

"I know" Remus said pulling Sirius in for a long comforting hug "this will work and it'll be the last time she's forced to be with him"

Lily, Remus and Sirius solemnly went back to their common room. Sirius made a special trip to grab Shadow from the Astronomy tower, after returning he sat on the soft maroon couch by the common room fireplace and tried to think of anything but what Skylar was going to endure this weekend.