160

August 17th 1981

Sirius was upstairs settling up the crib for their daughter when he heard a crash followed by Skylar yelling his name.
Sirius ran faster than he thought possible down the stairs, tripping on the bottom step he barely caught himself as he stumbled into the kitchen. "SIRIUS!!!" He could hear her yelling again.

He noticed she was yelling from the garden now that he was closer. Sirius ran to the back door, swung it open hard enough to break a hole in the wall from the doorknob crashing, and saw Skylar holding onto a note. On the ground their shared gardening tools were scattered around from the basket falling. Skylar was on the ground as well, as if she fell down from being overwhelmed. Her hand was on her stomach, the other was shaking with the letter. Sirius could see blood on her hand, fearing the worst he slide to the ground with her and began looking for where she was injured.
"What's wrong??" Sirius asked "sweetheart are you and the baby ok??"

Skylar began crying, tears were common for her during her pregnancy but this was grim faced tears. He hadn't seen her cry this deeply since Liam's passing.
"It's m-my hand" Skylar said through her tears. The hand she held on her stomach was where Sirius found her bleeding from. The center had a few deep cuts, glass was inside the wounds. He looked at the ground, tunnel vision ceasing, and saw bloodied glass scattered around her body along with the tools. She was going to pick flowers and add them to a new vase Sirius bought her a week ago.
"W-w" a choked sob broke through her. "When I tried picking up t-the glass I-I-I"

"It's alright" Sirius said, heart rate going back to a normal pace. He tried to get the pieces of glass out of her wound, but she passed him the note instead.

Sirius looked at the parchment Skylar gave to him and saw it was addressed to the Black Family.
"I-I-I shouldn't h-have opened it" Skylar said through her tears. "It said B-Black Family but it was directed t-to you" Sirius' body was going through whiplash, heart pounding against his chest he was listing off the things that could be in this letter.
Was James ok? His first thought was of his best friend. Was Lily? Their baby? Remus? Even though Sirius and James both distrusted their old friend, he worried for his safety still. He knew it would hurt Skylar if he was deceased. She still held a softness for him.
Sirius looked at the letter, opening it slowly he began to read its context.

Sirius Black,

I am sorry to inform you of this, but your younger brother Regulus has passed. The details haven't been discovered, neither has his body. If I hear of any information, I will write to you once more. Again, I am sorry for your loss and I hope all is well with you and Skylar. I look forward to the day you are able to rejoin the Order.

-Albus Dumbledore

"Regulus is dead...?" Sirius said confused. This wasn't the news he was expecting to get on this rainy summer day. The green house was doing a good job at keeping the plants from being over watered, when it rained the water was collected from the roof and used to bring life to the plants the rest of the week.

"I'm so sorry" Skylar said to Sirius, holding her stomach with both hands now. "I'm so sorry" she said again, pain laced her eyes as she squinted. "I-If I was still in the o-order I could have sa-saved him..."

"Shhh" Sirius kissed the top of her head, hand behind her neck. He wasn't sure how to feel about his brother's passing. He hadn't been close to Regulus since they were little, but the male always looked out for Skylar. He would send up a praying for his soul tonight, one that asked the universe to treat him with the same kindness he showed Skylar. "You were closer to him than I was, I'm sorry for your loss as well" Sirius said hand on her stomach now, he felt odd movement like a twitch. "Are you ok?"