83

"Who's the other letter from?" Sirius asked, attempting to be nonchalant but he was concerned. Someone sending Skylar a letter with no return address didn't sit well with him.

Skylar looked at the letter in question
"No clue" she tossed it onto the table and continued her conversation with Lily about what they hope their schedule was like this year. Sirius stared at the letter as if it was going to explode before his very eyes. He wasn't the only one looking oddly at the piece of parchment, James and Remus were observing it as well. Peter was too busy listening in on Skylar's conversation waiting for an opening for him to speak to care.

"Hey Goose can I open the letter?" James asked the question the other two wanted. Sirius was going to open it either way, he wanted to respect her boundaries but his need to protect her was greater.

"No" she said grabbing the letter "why are you all staring at it like that?" She noticed each of the guy's eyes watching the parchment move in her hand.

"Aren't you concerned about who it's from?" Sirius asked

"Not really. It doesn't have a return address, I'm not interested in the unknown right now" Skylar was mostly worried it was from her brother. If that was the case she would start to feel the pain she suppressed again. Sirius was there for every nightmare she endured, up until recent Skylar couldn't sleep without seeing her brother's pained face. The summer was supposed to be time she spent with him, this was the first in years that she was without his audience.

"Well I'm going to open it, if you don't care about it" James said reaching for the letter but Skylar moved her body closer into Sirius, keeping the letter out of reach.

"You're absolutely not going to read it without my permission" Skylar snapped "if it's a death threat so be it, if it's my b-brother" she tripped over the word "then I don't want to read it. You know what? I'm just going to shred it right now" getting off of the couch she walked to the kitchen garbage and began shredding the letter to pieces, not once looking at the words that were laced onto the parchment.

Sirius James and Remus watched in awe of her lack of curiosity. Mouths wide open, they knew they wouldn't be satisfied until they figured out who was sending Skylar messages. If Skylar wasn't with Sirius the entire summer he would have been concerned about it being from a secret partner. Lucky for himself, his control on his jealousy was better. Sirius wasn't going to ruin their relationship by accusing her of something she wasn't involved in. Skylar walked back to the couch and continued in her conversation.

Sirius looked at James, who had the same idea as he did. He could tell by the look of determination on his best friend's features.
"Hey Prongs, did I show you the gift I got for Skylar?" Sirius said kissing Skylar before leaving the couch.

"Is it better than what I sent?" James asked following Sirius to the upper room where none of the party was. They faked conversation until both were in the master bedroom with the door closed.

Their bedroom was designed with vintage pieces the couple found while thrifting. They found the hobby to be exciting, saving money was good for them as well. Sirius grew up in a house he wasn't allowed to touch anything in, it was a nice change to be allowed that privilege now. Sirius had muggle rock band posters that Skylar found frames for, while her side was decorated with art that she drew. She wasn't the best at drawing, whatever was in her mind ended up on paper. Sirius was the one who suggested she hang her pieces, he loved each one. His favorite was the piece that hung above their bed, it was a large white canvas splattered in paint of various shades. The mystery of the painting was known to Skylar and Sirius only, they had sex while covered in paint and thought the outcome was worthy of being framed. It was an intimate piece that was described to no one.