116

"A full moon at the end of November and on the coldest day of the month" Skylar said to Lily as the two sat together in the court yard. Sirius James Remus and Peter all left in the late afternoon to be together for the night. Sirius told Skylar he would talk to Peter and see if something was stressing him out, Skylar hoped he kept to his word and speak with him. Needing help wasn't a weakness, she didn't know a lot about their old friend and like most she knew he could be dealing with trauma.

"What're you complaining about?" Lily asked "you're completely bundled up as if it's going to start snowing"

"I'm complaining because you dragged me out here when we could be sitting somewhere warm" Skylar said, full winter coat and sweatpants. Dramatically dressed as her friend would say. Skylar wished she took Shadow with her, he was a small heater in her jacket when it was cold out.

"I want to listen to them" Lily said. Skylar didn't, truly she was still working on her fear of werewolves. Remus couldn't help what he was, but she found herself terrified of the thought of his transformation. Hiding it well, agreeing to be out here with Lily. Sirius would see the signs of an uncomfortable Skylar, Lily was too focused on listening for Remus' howling. Skylar's hands fidgeting with her fingers, pulling at her skin. Constant playing in hair, wrapping it around her finger to distract from the night. Tapping of her foot, no beat just erratic tapping. She was anxious, fully dressed in it.

Skylar waited for the noise she knew was coming. This was the first time she was going to experience it outside since the attack. From her own common room, she couldn't hear any sounds from outside. Being under the lake, it was quiet, the only nice thing about her House. Lily liked being out here she told her recently, but Skylar typically went as far as she could get from the forbidden forest. If Lily had it her way they would be at Hagrid's hut listening in, but Skylar didn't want to be that close. Even being at the castle's court yard was too much. She could see the forest from here, see the darkness that once was now laced with moonlight. Skylar remembered a time when she enjoyed walking the forest with Hagrid, where the wonders of the creatures inside kept her in awe. The way the moon shined on the lakes inside of the woods was something she would miss seeing, but it wasn't worth the risk anymore.
A howling broke the night silence, Lily turned around excited to hear the sound and pinpoint where it was coming from. She knew Skylar had a run in with Remus, but she thought if her friend was uncomfortable she would have mentioned it. Instead she chose to be out here with her.

Skylar could feel her palms sweat, she kept rubbing them on her pants but no matter how much she wiped more followed. Another howl broke the night silence, Skylar was starting to feel her mind slipping. Memories of how she felt under Remus' werewolf form were filling her thoughts, how heavy he felt and weak it made her. Her skin was prickling under her clothes as shivers ran through her body.
Another noise, this time she could tell it was Sirius. Just like that night she could tell it was Sirius sounding his alarm as she ran for her life. The way Remus' claws dug into her face, scarring her for life. The same marks that started to burn, the pain associated with the full moon. No one knew she felt this, she planned to keep it that way. She already had enough of them worrying over her problems, she didn't need them thinking of her pain while having the time of their lives adventuring around. That was the problem, Sirius was having the best night with his closest friends, while Skylar was having the worst. She couldn't fault him for not being around for her, she was the one telling him to go every time. Skylar knew how much freedom meant to Sirius, she would never stop him from experiencing life with his comrades.

Skylar got up from the bench that Lily sat them at and started walking back to the castle.
"I'm going to sleep" she said "goodnight"

"Goodnight!" Lily said still excited over the howling of the night. Her plan was to stay out passed curfew, which they were closing in on very soon. Being Head Girl she didn't worry over getting into trouble, she could just excuse her lateness for needing to patrol the grounds. Not a rule breaker usually, but for this night she would excuse herself from her harsh standards.