Chapter 108 - Tensions

"I think we need to find the sword," were the words I woke up to. As anyone might, I sat up with a groggy mind and stared blank-faced at Hermione.

"One more time please, in english," I slurred. Ron was still out on the bottom bunk across from mine, Harry awake but still perched on the bunk above him.

Hermione was in the kitchen, hunched over a book. It would've been perfectly natural had we not been in a magical tent in the middle of the woods in the winter with the entire Dark Lord's army currently on a manhunt for us.

I rolled out of bed and poured myself a cup of coffee from the pot Hermione had started.

"The sword of Gryffindor. The one Harry found in the Chamber of Secrets," Hermione repeated. I took a sip of the coffee, biting back a gag.

"I recall the one. Still waiting on the why," I said. Ron stirred, but didn't wake. Harry was staring at the ceiling.

Hermione shut her book and shuffled next to me.

"We concluded that the diary was a Horcrux, right? Harry destroyed it with a fang from the basilisk that year. It released a massive amount of magic and destroyed Tom Riddle's apparition," Hermione explained. I nodded solemnly, recalling that particular adventure from our second year.

"I don't think we have another basilisk laying around," I said slowly. Hermione smacked my arm.

"No, and thank god for that, but remember, Harry told us he also killed the thing by stabbing it through the roof of its mouth with the sword of Gryffindor," Hermione said, a gleam in her eyes. I spaced out for a moment, trying to recall the events of that horrible night. Only Harry had been down in the chamber, I had been blocked by the passage with Ron and that idiot Lock-heart.

Harry chose this moment to climb down, accidentally stepping on Ron's shoulder as he stumbled out of the bunk. Ron groaned and rolled over.

"Hermione, explain in children's terms please. I am not following" I mumbled.

"The sword is now coated in basilisk venom, which we've proved can destroy horcruxes," Hermione said slowly. Harry sat at the table, blinking the sleepiness out of his eyes.

I sat back slowly, processing. Could the sword really destroy these things?

"First of all, how dare you pose this incredibly complex scientific question before I've finished my coffee. Second, how do we know someone didn't, you know, give the sword a good-ole-wipe down after Harry brought it up? Third, where even is the damn thing now? Didn't Harry pull it out of the sorting hat?" Hermione rolled her eyes at me.

"First, drink up. Second, I'm sure they did, but the sword was goblin made, and the properties of the metal allow it to absorb the properties of substances used against it. Goblin's silver! It only took substances which strengthened it into itself,"

"English, Mione"

"The blade retained the powers of the venom. That's a why goblin-made weapons are so valuable." Hermione was getting annoyed now.

"So, in theory, it could destroy the locket using the power of the basilisk venom it retained," Harry finished. I slumped forward onto the table, coffee pushed aside.

"Exactly."

"Okay, and where is it now?" I grunted.

"You guys having a party without me?" Ron was awake. I lifted my head to see that he had sat up from the bunk and leveled a stony look at the three of us at the table. I put my forehead back on the cool wood.