Chapter 39- Screaming and Dates

We had been sitting in the great hall for a quiet study hall when the boys decided it was time for them to sulk about not having dates for the ball. It had been a few weeks since the Yule ball announcement, and they had yet to find a date. I rolled my eyes.

"This is mad! At this rate, we'll be the only ones in our year without dates!" Ron muttered, looking at the groups of girls huddled in packs doing their homework around us. I watched Ron's eyebrows scrunch together in thought as I sat across from him on the other side of the table. I was sitting by myself on this side, while Ron, Harry and Hermione were crammed together on the other side. I slightly wanted to point out that I was available, (nobody I liked had asked me yet) but I didn't. A dorky hufflepuff boy had muttered something to me the other day that sounded like "will you fondue with me?" which I have no idea what the hell that meant.

Snape, who was monitoring the study hall, stalked over to Ron and slapped his head, pushing it down into the miserable Divination essay that we were supposed to have turned in tomorrow. Mine was coming along fine, but Divination was a horrible subject that I honestly did not care about getting top marks in, I mean I didn't have the parents to- stop. Don't think about them. Anyways, I was just kinda making it up.

Ron, who was still rubbing his head, leaned over to Harry and whispered something that sounded like, "well, us and Neville," to which Harry responded with a "but then again, he can just take himself." I groaned.

"It might interest you to know that Neville's already got someone." Hermione whisper/shouted at the boys then returned to writing her Transfiguration essay that I hadn't even begun to think about yet. Crap.

The boys groaned at this, and tried to work on the same Divination essay I was currently tackling. I was just about to say something when a small note whizzed by my face and landed on Ron's piece of parchment. I looked over and saw Fred and George, sitting about three spaces down from me. Fred was winking at Ron. Ron opened the note and read it, but then threw it back and whisper-shouted at Fred.

"Who are you going with then?" Ron asked. Fred winked, then wadded up the ball. Fred winked at Ron then tossed the wadded up piece of paper at Angelina, who was sitting a few seats down the table. When Angelina looked up, she looked at Fred with a "what the heck" face. Fred mimed out going to dance, causing Angelina's dark chocolate skin to darken around her cheeks. She nodded and smiled sheepishly, so I wiggled my eyebrows at her.

"Shut up Saige." She whisper/shouted. I laughed and rolled my eyes. I went back to trying to finish my Divination.

However, Ron seemed to think that that was a good tactic. He Then set his jaw and turned to Hermione. Uh oh. He doesn't know she was already asked. The certain quiddtich player had asked Hermione the other day. Needless to say, after she told me I damaged the eardrums of everybody in a 50 meter radius. I mentally cringed.

"Why, Hermione you're a girl," oh god he has already gone badly. Hermione glared at him.

"Well spotted." Hermione looked ready to blow steam out of her ears. Ron tried the Fred tactic. He started to mime dancing and ask her, but Snape came over to the two of them and smacked them on the head with a book, then smacked Harry as well. Snape just glared at me, (at which I worked up the energy to just smile innocently) and stalked off.

Ron checked to make sure Snape was out of earshot when he tried again. Oh Ron, it's a lost cause mate. "I mean, for a bloke to go alone it's bad, but for a girl, it's just sad." Ron tried, Harry caught my glance and we both cringed waiting for Hermione's reaction. She just glared at Ron, picking up her notebook and standing up.