Chapter 79 - She's only 16

His nightmare had come true. Harry had only read about her in the papers -  never seen Saige like this in real life. It was horrifying. Her face was grinning evilly, her eyes narrowed competitively. But this time, with her eyes still all black, Harry suspected that Voldemort had put her on a tighter leash than before. Harry's heart sunk. She might not be able to break out again. Even if Harry needed her to.

            He stood up, casting a weak shield around himself as he neared Saige and Voldemort. Saige grinned, her pearly white teeth flashing in the light of the moon filtering through the large windows of the ministry.

            "Potter, give up. Your girlfriend is long gone. She's mine now," Voldemort hissed, but Saige held a hand out.

            "Wait, I want to play with this toy. He's so small... so, weak," She said calmly, tilting her head as she looked at Harry with mock contempt. Harry gulped, hating seeing his friend like this.

            "Saige. I know you're in there," Harry said, his voice cracking. Dumbledore wasn't moving. Saige tipped her head back and laughed.

            "Sorry Potter, but Saige isn't home," She cackled. Harry tried to breath.

            "No, I know she's in there. I know she can hear me," Harry tried again. This time, Saige just grinned, and walked up to Harry.

            "Seriously? A shield?" She scoffed as she paused just outside Harry's shield. Saige didn't even hesitate to punch right through it, but Harry didn't back away even as shards of glass collapsed around him. He needed his friend back – he would try or die.

            "Saige –"

            "Listen up Potter. You're weak little friend is gone. She died when the killing curse hit her chest. So stop trying," Saige said casually, but anger lined her voice. Harry picked up on this. Saige sometimes got a tone in her voice when she was hiding something...Harry grit his teeth.

            "No, I'm not going to stop. She's in there, isn't she? Fighting back, cause she can hear me. That's why you want me to stop. I know her, I know her better than anyone, and I know she won't give up. Not after everything. She already took the killing curse tonight – twice. She's survived it three times now. She can break out. Saige? I know you can hear me. Please, keep fighting - keep scratching, tooth and nail. You can do it. I know you can," Harry said earnestly, daring to even take a step closer to Saige.

            "Ha, nice speech. Did you rehearse it?" Saige laughed. She bore her eyes into him, and Harry's heart sunk. There was no human in there, no light. Maybe Saige really was gone...

            "Destroy him," Voldemort's voice cut through the cold air. "And the others," He added, and Harry's heart sunk when he heard the voices of the others enter the cavernous ministry lobby. They must've made it past the collapsed passageway.  Saige's eyesight flicked to behind Harry.

            "Saige?" Hermione called with surprise in her voice, running up behind Harry. Harry stifled a sob and backed up to hold Hermione back. She fought against him, but stilled with a gasp when she saw what Saige had turned into. Saige's eyes were still inky black. "No. No," Hermione sobbed, backing up. Harry wrapped an arm around the horrified girl. The others gasped, and Ginny and Luna had tears streaming down their eyes. Harry backed Hermione up to join the group then stood protectively in front of them, wand out. Saige laughed again.

            "Hello Granger, nice to see you," Saige called, walking towards them slowly, her hands in her jean pockets. She stopped about 15 feet in front of them, leaning on one leg while jutting her hip out. She didn't stop smiling.