Chapter 82 - Prophecy

In the last two weeks of school, many different people visited the sleeping girl. Her body never moved; not a muscle had twitched in over 6 weeks. The three Ravenclaw girls had visited regularly, wishing the girl to get well and changing flowers every time. The Weasley twins and their little sister visited fairly often, sitting in sad silence as they watched the girl. Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood visited when they could, as well as the golden trio whenever they could. It had become a routine for the three – before classes stop by, after lunch stop by, and after dinner stop by. They never missed a trip. The girl's quiddtich team was devastated without her, heading by every other day to drop in, give her a new set of flowers. It was a sad scene.

One day, right before curfew a single student made their way towards the hospital wing. His books were tucked under his arms from hours of studying at the library and yet, their weight would never rival that of the weight on his heart. Blond hair glinted in the moonlight as he peeked into the hospital wing, looking sadly at the slumbering girl in the faint light. There was only a single lamp by her bed, its soft glow illuminating the ever-fading gold in her hair. The boy walked towards her, tears quickly filling his eyes. He had done this to her. He had caused her all this pain.

Draco Malfoy broke down into tears at the side of Saige Walker's slumbering body, his shoulders racking as he held his face in his hands. It was gross sobbing, but luckily quiet. Nobody peeked in. But Draco didn't care. He had done this; he had willingly followed his father. Willingly took the mark, willingly stabbed his best friend in the back. Both literally and figuratively.

After a solid 5 minutes of silently sobbing, Draco finally looked up at the girl. He didn't bother wiping his tears away as he tried to breathe, taking shaky breathes on the verge of hyperventilation. He wanted to take the girls hand, to hold her in his arms, to kiss her forehead, but he knew she would hate to be touched by him. She would most likely hate him just for coming. If she woke up.

That seemed to be the ultimate question. Draco had overheard Madam Pomfrey telling Professor McGonagall the other day that Saige's body was perfectly healed – no physical damage anymore. Not the scar on her back nor her side were in any danger of reopening. They were just scarred flesh. But, Madam Pomfrey had said that she had never seen a more scattered mind.

Draco hadn't heard much, but he had caught the way Pomfrey described Saige's mental state. It wasn't packed full of emotion or memory, or filled with a certain desire. In fact, Madam Pomfrey said quite the opposite. Draco had been walking away when Pomfrey had described the state.

"There's nothing there at all. It's like she's lost the will to live, " She said sadly. Draco's heart had frozen when he had heard that, trying to push down his growing sorrow. Bumping into the girl the last night she was awake had been awful – he had walked away as soon as he could. He had found out later that week that Saige's memories of the night had been wiped, but the reason she was forced back in bed was because she had brought her memories back. It was a hard idea to grasp, but Draco knew that there was no scenario that he could come up with to mend the broken bridge between him and Saige.

Draco looked at the girl, Pomfrey's words bounced painfully around his skull. He tried to fight back the tears, tried to keep the salty taste off his parched lips, but you can't stop the Niagara Falls from rushing. Draco's head dropped back into his hands as he cried, his body tensing with each sob.

Draco wasn't even sure what had happened. The last time he saw Saige was when he saw her running off with Potter. He had tried to stop her, to reason with her, but he knew he had to follow his father's orders. Don't stop her. Make sure she goes with him. He had only done it to protect his mother. He had only done it to stop the killing. Voldemort had taunted him, had tortured him. He aslo promised Draco that Saige wouldn't feel the pain. That Saige would never remember. That Draco and Saige could be together if he brought her back to the Dark Lord. So Draco had agreed. He just didn't expect the curse.