Chapter 64- Fire and Eyes

When I got back to the common room, the party was still going. I mindlessly wondered how long I was out. Fred and Angelina were talking by the food table, George and Lee Jordan laughing with Drew with some of the older girls, clearly flirting. I shuffled past the numerous Gryffindors, trying not to draw attention to myself. I eventually bumped into Ron, who was sitting with Harry and chatting.

"Yo, Saige, where were you?" Ron asked, patting the couch next to him for me sit down. I rubbed my temples with my hand then plopped down on the couch, trying to send away the pulsing migraine that seemed to just lurk in the corners of my head.

"Took a walk," I mumbled. Ron's eyebrows furrowed.

"You okay? You did great at the match by the way," Ron said, clapping me on the back. I forced a smile.

"I'm good. Thanks though," I said, trying to force my body to be cheerful. Ron and Harry started to talk about different maneuvers for a match. I listened in but didn't say much.

After a while of talking to them and a bunch of other people, I decided that I needed to sleep. My headache was still pounding inside my head. I hoped sleep would drive it off.

When I walked up to the dormitories I found Hermione already passed out. She must've crashed earlier.

I quickly changed out of my Quidditch pants and tee shirt, throwing on a pair of my brother's old sweats and his tee shirt. I had taken to wearing his clothes lately, especially as sleepwear. For some reason, it comforted me more than I would have realized. The sweats fell past my feet and the shirt was still huge on me, but I had grown in the past few years and Sam had only been 18 when he died. I was probably only a few inches shorter than him now.

I crawled into my bed, closing the curtains around me as I lay on my back. I lifted a hand and watched as a small flame danced around my fingertips, illuminating my small alcove. I studied the small tendrils of bright light as they flickered. How did this happen? There were so many pieces that came into play in my life, so many possible outcomes. How had everything come together like this? Why did I get the bad end of the deal?

I grit my teeth as I watched my flames sputter out, plunging my bed into darkness again. I lay back down and stared at the top of the canopy, trying to sleep. My headache pulsed again.

I finally started to feel my eyes droop after a while, and a few minutes after that, I was sleeping.

____________________________________________________________________________________

The next few weeks went somewhat of the same way. We had to more games, against Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff (which we won), and the Dumbledore's army meetings were getting better. The holidays started to roll around, sending cascades of white snow falling down.

I was walking up to the dormitories alone after dinner, my backpack heavy with large textbooks from earlier classes. I huffed as I plopped my bag on my bed, not even bothering to unload it as I kicked off my shoes and socks, and walked back downstairs. I slipped between other Gryffindor's, jogging out of the portrait hole and walking barefoot down the cool stone corridors of the castle. I wandered for a while, trying to find a small area to chill for a while. Hermione was set on spending the night studying in the library and Ron had to report to Umbridge's- he had landed himself a detention. Harry said he had to talk to some teachers about work, so that left me alone. I had considered hanging out with Mina, Hayley and Brooklyn for the night, but I hadn't had the chance to find them after dinner. My last option was Draco, but I was too lazy to go down to the dungeons and ask for him.

I walked down the empty corridors, finally coming to an empty room that had a small balcony. I slipped through, walking to the edge of the railing and placing my hands on the cool metal. I stood for a while, staring out at the dying sun as I let the crisp air bite at my neck. My hair no longer covered it.