Chapter 104 - Acceptance

Ron was the first to his knees next to the unconscious girl. The others were close behind, hands reaching to pull her out of the dirt. Ron weaved his arms underneath her shoulders and knees, pulling her up and away from the filth she had collapsed in. Harry was grabbing Saige's hands, leading them towards the Burrow, where the others were waiting. Harry's heart hammered distractinly in his chest as Ron laid Saige down on the couch that George had just vacated. Saige stirred at the movement, weakly opening her eyes.

They were still glossy white.

Within the moment it took for her to realize she couldn't see, Harry had dropped to his knees with his wand in one hand and the side of Saige's face in his other.

"Saige? Saige, can you hear me?" Harry asked softly, trying to calm the shaking girl. Her eyes darted this way and that, trying to focus on Harry's voice. Weakly, her arm reached up to grab his wrist.

"Where am I?" Saige whispered, her voice no more than a breath of hot air on her tongue. "Harry — Harry I can't see again," she whimpered.

"I know, I know — you're at the Burrow, you're safe," Harry assured her. "Focus on my voice, okay?" Harry watched as her glossy eyes turned in his general direction. Her hand that had been gripping his wrist raised to touch his face. Harry lifted his wand, muttering incendio under his breath, and watched as fire erupted from the tip of his wand.

"Can you see the light?" Harry asked quietly. The Burrow was painfully silent, aside from the quiet sounds of Mrs. Weasley tending to George's wound.

Harry slowly moved the light back and forth in front of Saige's eyes, waiting for a reaction. Slowly — painfully — Saige's eyes began to latch onto the light, and after a moment, the mist in her eyes began to clear. After a few moments, its wasn't fog that reflected in her eyes but fire inside. Blinking slowly, Saige finally lifted her eyes to Harry's before sitting up on the couch and clenching her fists.

"There you go," Harry muttered, helping her stand. She wobbled for a moment, before glancing down at her legs. A slight grimace passed over her face before she raised an eyebrow. Then she collapsed like a sack of potatoes back onto the couch. Hermione grabbed her arm, helping her sit back up.

"Saige?" Hermione asked quietly. Saige took a few shaky breaths before peering down at her knees.

"I think I broke my leg," Saige said simply, almost comically. The others stared at her. The others watched in silence as white light blared from under Saige's skin, snaking down her veins and into her fingers, which she pressed into either side of her left knee. She shut her eyes for a moment, before letting out a sharp hiss and letting the light fade away. She breathed slowly, laying back on the couch.

Lupin stepped forward, taking a seat on the armrest of a large chair next to the couch. The others relaxed into various seats, waiting for the professor to speak.

"We were betrayed. Someone knew we were moving Harry tonight. Do you have any idea who it might be?" Lupin asked the group but looked to Saige. Saige's eyebrows furrowed, a scowl painting itself across her face as she opened and closed her fists. Harry noticed the smears of blood and dirt across her knuckles.

"What even happened out there?" Ron piped up. "It was like a cloud of them came out of nowhere and then dissipated. Something took the majority of them out..." Ron trailed off when his own mind connected the dots. The group turned to Saige, who had been the only member of their group that hadn't been present for the majority of the trip. Saige's voice popped up, scratchy, weak, and hardly comprehensible, as if she had been screaming.

"I drew away as many as I could. I thought they might want me more than the others. Voldemort has been trying to pull me back for the past year now. I took out the large majority of them, but when I saw Voldemort chasing after you," she turned to look at Harry, "I knew I had to do something. I just wasn't quick enough to save Hedwig... I'm so sorry Harry." Saige reached over and clutched his hand. Harry blinked away, trying not to cry.