Chapter 68 - Death of a Friendship

Pain.

That's all I felt, which actually made me angry. If I was still feeling pain either I was in hell, or I was still alive.

I was starting to wonder if those two things were more similar than I used to think.

When I started to regain consciousness, I shifted my body, testing how much pain would flare if I moved my shoulder. Not as much as I expected, but I still winced.

I lay still for a moment, trying to regulate my breathing. I kept my eyes closed and didn't move, but tuned into the voices talking softly around me. Two were feminine, and another few were male – I couldn't count them. I quickly identified them as Hermione, Ginny, Ron, Fred and George.

"Are you coming with us for Christmas Hermione?" Fred asked quietly. I kept my eyes closed as Hermione replied with a small yes, but I felt a hand take mine and squeeze it. I knew it was Hermione – nobody's hands were as small and soft as hers.

"Can she- will she be able to come too?" Hermione asked quietly. I focused on regulating my breathing. Nobody said anything at first.

"Once she's awake we will talk," Fred replied, the sadness in his voice obvious. I decided I was ready to wake up.

"Then start talking," I breathed, wrenching my eyes open. Bright light filtered into my vision, blinding me temporarily. The others gasped and called my name, and two sets of strong arms helped me sit up. My shoulder felt like it was on fire.

"Saige! Are you okay?" Hermione cried, squeezing my hand. I turned my head painfully to look at her.

"I- I got bit by a snake – I'm fine." I stuttered, my nausea growing. I swayed where I sat for a moment, and Fred and George immediately steadied me. Too many things were filtering through my head, too many things that didn't add up.

"Um- you got bit by a snake," Ron repeated, his eyes wide. I waved a hand at him and focused on breathing.

"How-what happened?" Fred asked. I took another breath.

"I have no idea. I just woke up at the ministry. Your dad was there, so was the snake. Nagini, I think. She tried to attack your dad- I shielded him but my magic was wasted. I had been through too much beforehand. I almost lost control – it wanted to take over and be released almost. I think I managed to push your dad out of the way and take the bite, but I don't really know what happened after that. I just woke up here." I said, stumbling over my words. I left out mentioning that I had thrown out all of my magic in hopes of burning myself up. That would only scare them.

"You- beforehand- were screaming, in the corridor. Remember? We came out and your were with Harry-"

Harry.

I wondered why his name brought so much emptiness to me. I felt nothing for him. Nothing. All respect and trust and friendship were gone. But not because of Cho.

It was last year all over again. Harry was mad because I had been with Draco. He was mad that I wasn't his friend. He still thought Draco was a liar.

"Where is Harry?" I asked calmly, masking my boiling anger with ease. The others shifted.

"Nobody has seen him for a while. He a little bit after Draco left, earlier today." Hermione sighed. My chest tightened, connecting the dots. Harry had gone to attack Draco. Or at least try to.

"How long do I have to stay here?" I asked, my voice slightly more hysterical than I would've wanted.

"Madam Pomfrey said at least another two-" Hermione started, but I gaped at her.