Chapter 26- Maybe

I think I stayed in Ginny's room for like, three days. I slept most of that time, sat in silence and stared out the window the rest, and occasionally slipped out of the room to empty my bladder. Three times a day someone, more than often it was Ginny or Fred or George, would slip in a hand me a small plate of food, so I just gave them a quiet thank you and ate in Ginny's room. I felt bad, they had to take care of me like I was a child, but I didn't have the energy to take care of myself. It was good to have real food, but it reminded me too much of my parents, so I just took small nibbles and hardly ever finished all of it.

It was the morning of the fourth day when I worked up the courage leave the room. Fred had just left from dropping me off breakfast and I had just finished the small piece of toast when I decided it was time I gave everyone a formal apology and thank you to the family that was taking care of me. So, gathering up the minimal courage I had left, I slipped out of the room I had grown familiar with in the past few days, and walked down the stairs, taking my empty plate with me. I walked into the kitchen, and saw Ginny and George helping their mother clean up breakfast. Harry, Ron, and Fred were nowhere to be seen, but I could just hear the sounds of brooms being taken out of the shed in the back of the house. Quidditch. Oh how I missed playing. I had just walked into the kitchen when I stopped, holding my plate in my still poorly bandaged hands.

"Where should I put this?" I asked quietly, startling myself with the calmness of my voice. Maybe all those days alone had strengthened me. Maybe not. I didn't know. But I did know that the faces of the three people staring at me warmed my heart. They were beaming.

"Saige! You're awake! Thank goodness. Here, George take her plate and hand it to me." Mrs. Weasley was drying her hands on a towel and George walked over to me.

"You okay Saige? Here I can take that," he asked me, his smirk still sitting on his face like it had last year, whenever I saw him. I handed him my dirty plate and sat down on a chair next to the table.

"I'm better. I just wanted to thank you guys. I'm sorry I barged in and went crazy. Its just been a long six months," I said, looking down at my hands. I picked at the dirty scraps of fabric, slightly unraveling them from my hands.

"Oh sweetie, you are always welcome here. I am so glad you're safe. You don't have to apologize for anything." Mrs. Weasley walked over to me, and did something that I had gone so many months without. She wrapped me in a motherly hug and held me against her. I hugged her back, then looked at the two gingers watching.

"Thank you." I said, and as I pulled back I gave everyone the smallest of smiles. I gasped inwardly at myself. I hadn't smiled since that the morning before it happened. It felt strange, but it warmed me to the core. I saw Fred, Harry and Ron come in, and I smiled at them too. They gaped at me, then started to smile as well.

"Saige? You okay?" Harry asked. I looked at him.

"I'm not okay, but I'm better. I'll never be the same, I know that. But I want to stop sulking." I said, my confidence growing with each and every word. Then I smiled again, this time showing my teeth.

"You're safe, and that's what matters." Ron said, and I beamed. Then, I did something that surprised myself, more than ever. I ran towards everyone and pulled them into a huge. Five sets of arms wrapped around me, five sets of warm, comforting arms. Maybe I had lost my family, no, I did loose my family. But I had just found another, one that would comfort me when I was scared or protect me when I was in danger. They would never replace my family, but I would love them all the same.

"Thank you, for everything." I muttered into Harry's shoulder, and tightened my arms around Ron and George, resting my hands on Ginny's and Fred's backs. They muttered "no problems" and "its fines" but I smiled.

"Just out of small interest, were you guys going to play quidditch?" I asked quietly, pulling back from the massive group hug. They nodded. I bit my lip. "Can I," I started, but I was immediately met with smiles and nods.

"Of course, you are, after all, the best quidditch player we have here." Fred said with a wink. I smiled again, loving the feeling of my mouth stretching ear to ear.

"Well, I might as well get back on a broom sooner than later." I said quietly, but I was pulled outside instantly.

Maybe my life had gone to hell. Maybe I wanted to die. Maybe I felt like all purpose had been dragged from the world. Maybe it had. But I knew, as I walked outside slowly with my family, my friends who I considered family, deep down things would be better. Maybe I would never be the same. But maybe, maybe, I would become a better person, and a wiser person as well. Maybe, it would okay again.

Maybe.