Chapter 85 - Meltdowns

When we got to school, we could already tell something was off. During the feast, Dumbledore announced that Snape had been given the DADA spot. I tried to hold my groan back as I sat next to Ron at the Gryffindor table.

"How can he?" I muttered, rubbing my face with a hand. Ron was staring unbelieving at the front table. The other students were gaping as well.

After Dumbledore finished his speech and allowed us to eat, Harry, Hermione, Ron and I complained about numerous things. Snape, the new Potions Master, Quidditch try outs – Harry had gotten captain this year.

"You're gonna play again this year right Saige?" Harry asked, looking across at me as he bit into a piece of buttered bread. I didn't look up from my pie I was currently eating.

"Not sure," I said, shrugging it off. It was the truth – I wasn't sure if I was up for it this year. Fred and George no longer played, Wood was long gone, Angelina had left – the only team members that I really knew how to play with were Harry, Drew and Katie. And I had spoken to Drew earlier today when I ran into him, Mina, Hayley and Brooklyn on the train, and he had said he wasn't playing this year. So I was still indecisive.

"You're not gonna play?" Ron asked unbelieving.

"I didn't say that," I countered as I took a bite of pie. The others stared at me. "I'll go to try-outs, but I might not play every game. It's just not the same anymore I guess," I explained. Harry seemed slightly insulted.

"What about you?" I asked, trying to shift the uncomfortable conversation. Ron perked up.

"I'm gonna try for keeper – we practiced over the summer, and Ginny's gonna go for chaser." He told Harry and Hermione. I was the one who helped him train while I was staying with him over the summer. I had to admit – he was getting pretty good.

"How many times did Saige get you in the face?" Harry teased. I let a grin spread across my face.

"Are we counting the time I accidentally threw the ball into the shed and it ricocheted off and hit you?" I asked Ron. He face palmed. "Too many," I finished, a laugh in my voice. We finished dinner with similar conversations, but I was starting to feel the fatigue and headed off to bed after we were let out. The others stayed down in the common room for a bit, but I was too tired to care.

__________________________________________________________________________________

"Hey Ron, how'd she do over summer?" Harry asked Ron as the three of them sat in front of the fire in the common room. Hermione looked up from her book. Ron shrugged, glancing over his shoulder at the stairs where Saige had disappeared moments ago.

"Ok I guess – the first few weeks were rough," Ron explained, sitting back in the couch. Harry was sitting cross-legged on the floor by the fire, playing with a toy he had bought from Ron's older brothers. Hermione walked over and plopped down on the chair across from Ron.

"When did she tell you about the prophecy?" Hermione asked. Ron sighed, remembering the fate of his friend.

"Just a few days before you guys got there. She was doing fine really, she had been more relaxed then ever that day and then something happened and it was like she had wound herself back up into a cocoon. I mean she can hide it well, but I guess after a few months of living with her I started to pick up on her body language. She headed up after a bit, but I went back to check on her before I went to bed. She told me then." Ron remembered the tightness in Saige's shoulders that night.

"What wound her up?" Hermione asked quietly. Ron shook his head.

"I have no idea." He muttered. Harry looked at the fire.