Chapter 74 - Birthdays

If I had thought staying locked up in Grimmauld Place over Christmas break was bad, then I could categorize being at school as a nightmare. Things were rough – I refused to talk to Harry – but at least I got to talk to Draco again. He had shone up on the platform looking good as new, but I could tell there was a new pain being his eyes that wouldn't go away for awhile. We continued the DA meetings, but I was in and out as soon as they started and ended. I seldom stayed to chat, and on occasion I would leave with Mina, Hayley and Brooklyn to hang out later that night.

Umbridge was a bitch as per usual, but I vented by playing pranks on her and talking back in class. I landed myself another four detentions, but I had figured out how to mask my hand underneath a mirage, so it looked like the quill was cutting my hand, but it didn't sting the slightest. I just wished I could show Ron, but I had no idea how that type of magic worked.

Quidditch was back on; we had another two games against Hufflepuff and Slytherin, who Draco was infuriated at our win. The game was hilarious - we were toying with them. Katie, Angelina and I were at our A game, and there was no trio to oppose us. I was walking back from the Slytherin game with Draco at the moment.

"You are one little b-i-t-c-h," Draco punched me in the arm. I laughed, mocking him for being to polite to actually call me a bitch.

"Dude, you might as well just call me a bitch, I've been called that before," I said, ruffling his hair. Draco scowled, but I could hear laughter in his voice. We made small talk on the way up to the common rooms, parting when we reached the castle.

"See you later?" Draco called. I nodded.

"Unless you're too busy studying for these stupid OWLS." I called to him, laughing. Draco's mom had insisted that he do well in school, which resulted in him being forced to stay up and study night after night. I didn't give a shit about school anymore, I was just here for the fun. Besides, I could probably beat all the professors in match – all of them against just me. Dumbledore included.

The OWLS were next Tuesday, as spring rolled around. I was astonished that Easter was almost here, and after that was a just regular final, then school was out. Again, I was going to be staying with the Weasleys, but I was dreary about the summer with Harry. I just had to suck it up and deal. That's all I do nowadays anyways.

"Hey Saige?" Hermione called as I entered the common room. I glanced at Ron studying with Harry in the opposite side of the common room, heads bent into thick books. I almost scoffed.

"Yeah?" I asked, sliding next to her on the couch. I put off changing out of my Quidditch gear – it was actually pretty comfy.

"If, theoretically, you cast a mirage spell as a double, could other spells hit and damage it?" Hermione asked, pulling her nose out of her book to look up at. I paused for a moment, waiting for her to answer her own question, then realized she was asking me.

"Um... I'm not sure. My mirages have taken hits like a normal person, but they don't weaken it. I don't know if that will help though," I stuttered, shrugging my shoulders at Hermione. She shrugged back and dove back into her book. I sat back on the couch, picking dirt out of my nails as I thought.

This year had gone so fast, and yet it still seemed like the slowest year of my life. I don't know what it was, but it just seemed like every day was wearing down on me more and more. Taking another hard hit would most likely break me again.

On the upper hand, my birthday was tomorrow.

Draco had offered to take me to Hogsmead, so I needed to find something to wear. Call me crazy, but something about him made me not want to look like a blithering mess and at least try to look somewhat normal.