Chapter 75 - Caught Again

The day was the best I had had in a long time – regardless of the words I had heard Blaise whisper to Draco. After sitting in the Three Broomsticks for a while, talking and sipping sweet butterbeer, Draco and I walked up and down the streets of Hogsmead, slipping into countless stores. I had some money with me, so I made Draco buy some ridiculous treats in Honeydukes, and some funky toys in Zonkos. I had bought myself quite a lot of candy, and I fully planned on sharing it with Hermione late at night tonight - if she wasn't too busy studying.

Draco took me into a jewelry store right before we were about to leave and told me to pick out one thing – a birthday present from him. I tried to protest but he seemed dead set on buying me a gift. I finally gave in, purchasing a small green emerald pendant inlaid in silver that hung on a long chain. It didn't cost much, so I didn't feel that bad. After we walked out, Draco took the bag from me, pulled out the necklace and dropped it over my head, laying it nicely aroynd my neck. Needless to say, I was grateful that I could use the cold as an excuse for how red my cheeks were.

I loved the necklace more then I put on – it was small but beautiful, the silver linings twisting like a snake around the emerald. I tucked the necklace into my scarf, letting it fall between my shirt and my coat. We made our way back to the castle, still talking and laughing. By the time I made it back to the common room, it was dark.

"Mione?" I called, stepping through the portrait hold and sweeping my gaze around. Harry and Ron sat in the corner, their heads buried in books, but I payed them no attention. I glanced around to see if I could spot a bushel of hair somewhere, but Hermione wasn't anywhere. I sucked up my anger and stalked towards the boys.

"Have you guys seen Hermione?" I asked, my voice emotionless. Ron looked up, his face tired. I softened my gaze a bit.

"No, she went upstairs a while ago. Said she wanted to get some sleep before exams start on Monday," Ron said, smiling faintly. I thanked him then headed up, slightly bummed to find that Hermione was in fact asleep. I sighed, then changed and sat on my bed, holding the bag of candy I had bought in my lap. The other girls in our dormitory were asleep as well, so I closed my curtains with a flick of my hand and sent a small ball of light to float above me as I sat in my bed.

I eventually decided to pull a book from my bag, leaning back on my bed as I read and munched on candy. I knew it was bad, but I finished the entire bag by the time my eyes were drooping. I set the book down on the table by my bed, sweeping my hand to clear the wrappers off my bed. They disappeared with a tiny poof. I crawled under my covers, a small smile still on my face from today. As I started to fall asleep, I clenched my fist tightly to diminish the small orb of light floating above me, plunging my bed into darkness.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Exams were a nightmare.

Monday had come, then Tuesday and Wednesday, then Thursday and finally Friday, and we were currently stuck in the middle of our last exam. I was pretty sure I had failed almost everything – History of Magic, Potions, Divination, and Transfiguration for sure. Care of Magical creatures was okay, considering that our test was just to tame a Blast ended skrewt and successfully feed it three rats, which I aced. Our last test was DADA – it was a total flunk – I knew the magic but not the cantations. Also, some idiot named Cho Chang got the DA discovered, so we didn't have any lessons anymore. Also, Dumbledore was gone, and Umbitch was headmaster. It was a nightmare. I was just scribbling random crap on the last page of the test when a soft boom echoed through the chamber.

A hundred heads looked up as the booming continued, nearing the great hall. Umbitch (I had decided to call her that) stood from her 'throne' and stalked down to the end of the hall, throwing the doors open with a flick of her wand and stalking outside. I whipped my head around just in time to see two figures fly over her head on brooms, throwing fireworks into the air. Fred and George zoomed into the great hall, sending our papers up in a flurry while tossing more fireworks into the air. I grinned, standing up and catching Fred's glance. We had planned this a while ago, but I hadn't been sure if they were going to try this during a test.