Chapter 77 - Betrayal

Draco's hand moved.

I didn't register his words until pain exploded in my side, until I felt the hilt of the elegant blade sticking out from my body. I gasped for breath, staring at Draco in horror. No... This isn't happening.

Draco's eyes hardened, his smile growing into a victorious smirk.

"What-what did you-you do?" I wheezed, trying to stay standing as thick blood ran down my side and legs. I stumbled, chucking the knife down the hall as I backed away from Draco, but my eyesight was growing fuzzy from blood loss. I toppled forward, landing in Draco's arms. He twisted my body around tightly, pulling my hair up and grazing the side of my neck with his nose. This time, I choked, so full of pain and betrayal that I didn't want to be touched by him. By whoever he had turned into. By whoever he really was.

Draco started to laugh horribly as he nipped at my neck, his teeth biting painfully into my skin. He didn't draw blood, but it stung and hurt and made my nausea worse. I whimpered as he threw me forward, my body landing harshly on the cool stone.

"You really thought you could defy us?" He said, his voice low and angry. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly, trying to convince myself that this wasn't happening. The Draco I knew would never hurt me. He wouldn't do this.

A foot slammed into my side, and I screamed, my body twitching in pain. Blood splattered everywhere. I curled onto my side, trying to take slow breaths. But Draco had different ideas. He grabbed my hair painfully and pulled me to my feet, his arm coming around my waist and pinning my back against his chest. Something cold and sharp pressed against my neck.

"Walk or I'll make your friends watch while I spill your throat on the ground," He hissed in my ear. I cried out as Draco squeezed my wound, digging his nails into my bloodied side. "Walk," He commanded, but then realized that I was in no shape to move. He growled and shoved me forward, half dragging me through the maze of shelves. I had closed my eyes again, this time letting small tears drip out of the corners.

            This isn't happening.

This isn't Draco.

But it was.

And that was the horrifying truth.

As Draco dragged me to who knows where, I recalled the fight I had had with Harry all those months ago.

            He doesn't care about you, Harry had said. He would kill you in a heartbeat, just like his father.

Harry was right.

I never knew Draco. The only person I knew was a monster, a fake, a liar.

And the thing that made everything worse?

I think I had loved him.

____________________________________________________________________________________

When Harry fell to the floor after they jumped through the door, he immediately popped up and did a head count. Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Luna, Neville - no Saige. Harry's heart rose into his throat.

"Where are we?" Ginny asked, but Harry was distracted. He looked around the cavern they had landed in, his eyesight catching on a peculiar archway. Voices seemed to be coming from it.

Harry was about to say something, but he heard the unmistakable sound of the death eaters coming.

"Get behind me!" He said harshly, holding the prophecy in his left hand as he raised his wand towards the many shadows approaching. The others obeyed him, scrambling behind him and lifting their wands.

But it made no difference.

Twenty seconds later, Harry was lying on the ground curled in a ball. He stood shakily, only to see each of his friends being held by a death eater.

Lucius Malfoy stood in front of Harry.

"I will make this simple for you potter, since you and your girlfriend didn't answer me immediately last time," He sneered, holding his hand out. Harry's fist tightened around the orb, but this time he knew he was caught.

"Give me the prophecy or watch your friends die," Lucius hissed. Harry's body stiffened, but Lucius wasn't done. "Starting with her," he laughed, then pointed over Harry's shoulder. Harry whipped his head around and his blood turned to ice.

Draco Malfoy stood grinning on the opposite side of the room, Saige in his arms with a blade pressed to her neck where blood was already running. Harry wanted to cry at the sight of his friend, her broken body being forced up. She had a huge stab wound in her side, blood gushing from it. Her legs were limp. Her ribs were most likely shattered. Draco seemed to be the only reason she was upright.

"How much more pain can Saige Walker take? Shall we fine out?" Draco sneered. Harry's fear turned into a fiery anger. He had warned her about Malfoy. She hadn't listened to him. Now Draco was most likely going to kill Saige and smile when her body hit the floor.

Saige made a small sound, a mere raspy breath that she squeaked out. Her eyes were half closed, but when her body convulsed and blood started to pour out of her mouth, she squeezed them shut tight. Harry's stomach tightened at the sight of her choking on her own blood.

"Stop!" He screamed, and then turned to Lucius, his anger like a bomb. "I'll give it to you! Just let them go!" He said frantically. He handed over the orb in his hand, but the second it touched Lucius's fingertips it turned less white and greyer. Once it was out of Harry's reach, Lucius lifted up into the air like a trophy.

A white light appeared behind him and the voice of the very reason they were there called out.

"Get away from my godson," Sirius hissed, punching Lucius square in the nose.

All hell broke loose.

The death eaters holding his friends released them and fled as members of the order showed up, retrieving the kids and fighting off the death eaters. Harry started to fight back against the death eaters as well, but they were out numbered. Harry jumped into the fight, launching spells this way and that. Harry and Sirius started to make their way towards Saige, who had been thrown to the ground while Draco fled to the corner of the room with his father. However, two death eaters were standing guard over Saige.

Harry launched spells at the death eaters with Sirius as Lupin took on Lucius for a moment. Harry had just turned from stunning a death eater when Bellatrix Lestrange jumped from the shadows and pointed her wand towards Sirius, who had just made it to Saige.

Harry's heart lurched when he saw the flash of green light heading towards Sirius. He tried to scream, to block it, but he was too far away. Sirius had been trying to get to Saige – to save her before she bled to death. But Bellatrix had cast her spell, and there was no stopping it. Harry watched in slow motion as his godfather turned towards the light, realizing what would happen. Harry sobbed, thinking it was all over. He was sure he was going to loose Saige, and now he was going to loose Sirius.

Just before the light touched Sirius's chest, a body slammed into him, seemingly taking the curse. Harry screamed.

Saige's bloody body thudded to the ground.