Chapter 3- Classes

The great feast was amazing, and afterwards we were taken around the castle into the Gryffindor common rooms. I was amazed, they were cozy, and warm, exactly the place I could spend hours in. Finally, I retreated to my dormitory, astounded to find that I was sharing a room with Hermione, a girl named Lavender Brown, a girl named Pavarti Patil, and another girl named Anna Brooks. They seemed friendly enough, but they seemed to have their own little clique, so Hermione and I talked while we unpacked. Our beds were next to each other, on the left side of the room. I unconsciously twiddled the necklace around my neck.

"Your necklace is beautiful Saige!" Hermione exclaimed as she walked over to look at it. I blushed.

"My parents got it for me as a gift." I said. Finally, after unpacking and getting ready for bed, I laid down and looked up at the top of my four poster bed. I said goodnight to Hermione, and after watching her pull her curtains closed, I followed. After a while however, I slipped silently out of bed and walked to my trunk. I pulled out a book, Standard Book of Spells, Level 1, and grabbed my wand. I slipped back into my bed and pulled the curtains around me. I only remembered one spell from my brother, which was a spell for light. Holding my wand in my right hand, and flipping through pages of the book with my left, I closed my eyes and whispered,

"Lumos"

A small light shone from the starlight diamond tip of my wand. It reflected off the diamonds in my necklace. I hadn't shown anyone my wand yet, but I knew everyone would eventually see it. I held the tip near the page, and searched for the effects of Lumos, wanting to make sure I did it right.

However, as I was reading, the effects stated didn't exactly fit the light coming from my wand. The book said that the light would be a very strong blue/white, but my light was almost a rainbow-y opal. Heh. I wondered if the starlight diamond had anything to do with it.

Quietly I flipped through the book, practicing small spells that wouldn't create any ruckus. I learned how to do the Levitation spell rather quickly, and could make my book hover in front of me and flip its own pages. Still looking, I practiced a few others, like a softening charm that turned my scratchy sheets into silk bedding. I looked for a few more to do, but my eyes were dropping and I knew I needed to have enough energy for classes tomorrow. So, reluctantly, I set my wand and book down and went to sleep.

The next day the school was hectic. All students had to go to their head of house to receive their schedule, and Hermione and I had already been to Professor McGonagall and were pouring over ours. We met Harry and Ron in the Great Hall for breakfast, and as I was pouring my cereal I heard Hermione ask Harry and Ron about their schedules.

"I have Herbology first today, then History of Magic. After that is Transfiguration and then Charms. We have our first flying lesson with Slytherin on Thursday, and we have our first Astronomy lesson at midnight on Wednesday," Hermione said. Harry and Ron recited their own schedules and I finally said mine. We learned that all four of us have Charms, Defense the Dark Arts and potions together, and Harry and I have the exact same schedule. Ron has almost all of the same classes as us, but instead of joining us for Transfiguration in the morning and History of Magic in the afternoon, He has History of Magic in the morning and Transfiguraiton in the afternoon. Hermione has the same schedule as Ron, but I was wondering how she was going to take that, because she didn't really get along with either of the boys.

However, soon, me and Harry were best friends. I hung out with him 24/7 and same with Hermione and Ron whenever I had a chance to see them. Our first class of the year was Herbology, which was just a lecture about how the class was going to work for the rest of the year. In the last fifteen minutes, we got learn a few facts about special herbs and plants.