Chapter 22- Nightmare before Christmas

I was sitting in my room looking at some of my spell books, trying to keep the oversized santa hat from slipping over my eyes when I heard the screaming. My mother's screaming. Then my father's. I jumped up, running down the halls in terror before crashing into Sam.

"Saige, Run! It's him!" Sam screamed. I stopped in my tracks. My mind went numb. No, this can't be happening. But it was.

I watched from the top of the stairs as my father's hand hit the ground, as my mother's wand flew out of reach. My brother grabbed me and we ran upstairs, to the attic. Voldemort was here. My eyes were waterfalls, rushing over my cheeks and spilling onto the ground. I had no idea how he was alive, but when I saw the pale white face with red eyes, I knew it was him. He stepped over my father's dead body and continued silently up the stairs. I clutched my brother's solid chest as I watched Voldemort walked into the attic. Sam was whispering comforting words into my hair, his hands wrapped protectively around me. 

"Come out Come out little kids." I put a hand over my mouth to cover my sobbing. Tears streamed silently from my eyes, as I turned my head from Voldemort to look down the stairs at my parent's dead bodies. Dead. My parents were dead.

I looked at my brother, who had his wand out. I knew I wasn't allowed to use magic yet, but I drew my wand as well. Suddenly our hiding place was revealed in a deafening crack, the desk we were crouched behind was blasted into splinters. Sam stood and held his wand out, using his empty hand to shield me. I held my wand up as well even though I didn't know many spells that would help me.

"Look at this, sibling love." Voldemort whispered. "Looks like it won't last very long. Give me the girl and I will set you free boy."

Sam screamed, a sound that broke my heart into a thousand little tiny pieces. I sobbed harder.

"Never! I will die before I let you touch her!" Sam said. Voldemort smiled. "So be it." I started to scream.

"Sam no!" I tried to pull him out of the way, but I was too slow. I was forced to watch in horror as Sam jumped in front of the green light headed straight for me. I watched as his body writhed and fell to the ground. I watched the light leave his eyes. My brother. Dead. I fell to my knees, pulling his body back away from the monster in front of me. 

Then I started to scream with all my might. I screamed and cried and yelled and let my anger and sorrow fill me. Voldemort was still standing there, smiling.

"What a pity," He seethed. I pressed my forehead against my brother's. He's dead.  I didn't even hear Voldemort say the words that would kill me. Didn't even see the flash of green light until it was slamming into my back. 

The blow was like a bomb, and I was blasted to the ground. Pain seared on my collarbone, and my ears buzzed. My body was on fire, or at least it felt like it. I lay next to my dead brother.

Is this what dying feels like? Am I dying? I could see out of the corner of my eye a black cloud rising from Voldemort's body. The cloud rushed towards me and I felt everything in my body scream in pain. I screamed and shuddered, writhed on the floor as the black cloud absorbed into my body. Finally after what seemed like hours, the pain slowly ebbed away, leaving me empty. I lay on the ground for hours. 

Finally I realized something. I had survived the killing curse. I was alive.

Sitting up, ignoring my screaming muscles and the dead weight of the fact that my family was dead, I ran over to Voldemort's body, and just for good measure, kicked him in the face, cause what the heck? I think somehow I killed him, but I was going to get the hell out of here a.s.a.p. I grabbed my brother's wand and floated his body down the stairs, and lay him next to my parents. I looked at them one last time and then ran to my room, my eyes spilling over and my shoulders shaking. Packing as much as I could, I searched for my brother's seventh-year spell book for the Undetectable Extension Charm and after some difficulty, I managed to put it on my backpack. I threw all of my possessions in it, including my brother and parents' wands. I took one family photo from our mantle and as much food as I could. I had no idea what to do or where to go.

"Rick!" I called to my family's owl, my voice cracking. He flew over to me, as I was finished scribbling a letter to Dumbledore. "Take this to Dumbledore and stay with him, Okay!" I opened the door, running out of the house after our owl. I started to see people gathering, muggles mostly, but my mind was in too much of a flurry to talk to them. I sprinted down our driveway, my tears landing on the pavement and leaving a speckled trail. People cried out to me, but I was too busy trying to find my footing. 

I didn't see the muggles go into my house, or hear the wail of sirens moments later. All I knew was that I had to keep running - to keep going. I needed to get away. Voldemort had followers - they would surely find out I had survived and come for me. So, I ran and I ran, sprinting when I could. My breathing was ragged and my sides were acheing, but my mind was numb. I finally made it to a park a few miles away, collasping to my knees as I watched the sun set agaisnt the tall mountains of France. I sobbed into my hands. 

Somebody help me. 

Please.