Chapter 91 - Nightmares pt.II

When the final person stepped through the fog, I lost everything. My voice, which I had already been battling for, my heart, which had already been shattered beyond repair, and my mind, the merciless creator of my nightmares.

"Saige." He said, his words kinder than they normally were when he said my name in my nightmares. I stood statue still, my eyes wide and my tearstains rapidly drying in the cool air. My hand was ever so slightly outstretched, my mouth just a peep open.

He stepped forward, just a few feet from me. I remembered his words, his actions. His claims to the truth he had made just the other night. His excuse. Or maybe his story.

"Draco?" I whispered when I won my voice back. His impossibly soft eyes weren't displaying a hint of the nefarious glee they had that night.

"Saige," He said back, a sad smile on his lips. I couldn't stop my arm from reaching out, from checking to see if he was real. My mind knew this was a dream, but my heart didn't. My fingers poked his solid chest.

I looked up into his eyes as I stepped forward, my hand flat on his chest. I could hear a heartbeat, a real human heartbeat, under the fabric of his expensive sweater. I was surprised he hadn't shown up in his now-regular black suit, but perhaps that was my mind wishing for the old Draco back. My Draco.

"What are you doing hear?" I said quietly. I was startled at the calmness of my voice, even though I knew full well I was in a state of limerence. I was too caught up in the soft gleam of Draco's thundercloud eyes, the way the only light in my dream seemed to come from his bright white hair.

"Apologizing," Draco whispered. He took the final step separating us. My hand stayed on his beating heart, which I could feel was speeding up. As if he was actually here, actually feeling this moment. The moment seemed so ethereal – to good to be true. I almost didn't want to wake up.

"For what?" I asked softly, secretly loving that I had to look up at him now that we were only a few inches apart. He had grown taller – if that was even possible.

Draco stayed quiet for a moment, his eyes searching my face like they used to for signs of stress, of pain. I remembered when he used to care for me, used to hold me and tell me everything was going to okay. The longing to be in his arms once again almost shook me.

"For everything," He said after a moment. He hesitated only a second before closing the small gap between us and pulling me in. His lips found mine, kissing them with impossibly soft brushes. I stood still for a second, then gave in and wound my arms around his neck. I threaded my fingers through his hair, basking in the feeling of Draco's in mine. It was glorious, but I could tell it was never going to be real.

Draco pulled away for a moment, his eyes full of pain. I brushed my fingers over his lips, rubbing the small specks of what seemed like blood off his face. I didn't ask why he would have blood splattered across him – I knew there was no point. Because he was just an illusion, a fragment of my mind.

"I'm so sorry," Draco whispered, the desperation in his voice startling. I pulled our foreheads together, squeezing tears out of my eyes. He started to shake in my arms, so I pulled his head down and cradled the larger boy. His shoulders shook violently, causing my grip to tighten. His arms were like cables around me, his fingers pressed tightly against my back.

"Draco, I –" I started, but I couldn't find my words. I still didn't know if I believed him – I needed proof. I needed a solid reason, not just an attempt to pull me back in. This might not be the real Draco, but if I give myself back to him here I won't be able to protect myself from another heartbreak in the real world. So, I just let Draco kiss me again, stuffing my doubts deep down.

We stood there for a moment in the complete darkness, wrapped up in each other. I couldn't tell how much time had passed, but I was hoping I wouldn't wake up. I was hoping we could spend eternity together, just like this. It was a fool's hope.

Draco had just kissed my forehead when I felt his figure start to loose shape. My eyes shot open in terror as I watched Draco's body start to fade. He seemed to be coming to the same realization, but he thought I was fading away. I looked down at my own body to see my legs becoming transparent along with Draco's.

"No, not yet, not now," Draco whispered frantically to himself, pulling my face towards his, kissing my lips swiftly. I tried to hold onto him, tried to call out and speak, but my voice was stuck in my throat again. Draco let go of me to grapple with something – something that was pulling us apart. "NO! Let go of her!" He screamed. I started to feel something wrap around me – a rope like object that burned my skin. I thrashed, trying to summon up the magic to blast it away. My breathing turned frantic when I realized I was powerless. I felt so empty, so vulnerable.

"LET GO OF HER!" Draco screamed, his voice hysterical. He was pleading to someone behind me. I suddenly felt hands wrap around my mouth and nose, strangling me. I screamed in my throat.

Draco finally broke out of whatever was holding him back and his form solidified again. He ran forward, pulling his wand out of his pocket and blasting whoever was holding me back. I fell backwards, gulping in lungfuls of air as Draco pulled me to his chest. Tears dripped onto my forehead.

"I wont loose you again," He whispered on my lips as he gave me one last kiss. I clung to his shirt in hopes of preventing him from fading, but within moments I was lost in an endless void again, entirely alone. My voice returned, but I had nothing to say. Nothing to think. Just that I had lost him – like everyone else I loved. Draco was gone, just a figment of my desperation. I fell to my knees, collapsing onto my back as emptiness washed over me, sending me back into a senseless mirage of murky memories.

_________________________________________________

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

Draco was gasping when the Dark Lord pulled out of his head. Tears were streaming down his face as his mind was released from the nightmare the Dark Lord had been inducing. He sat on his knees, his hands holding on to the small silver snake ring as if it was his lifeline. Voldemort was pacing around as he pulled out of Draco's mind, undoubtedly thinking of a million new ways to torture Saige through Draco.

Voldemort had just created a dream realm where Draco could see Saige – she was actually there. Draco knew that Saige thought he was just her imagination, but he had no idea how to let her know that the Dark Lord, her sworn enemy, was watching her through Draco's mind. He pleaded to anyone who would listen for an answer.

The only thing that kept Draco sane was the sweet taste of Saige's lips on his own.