Chapter 54 - The Boy

I spent days working up my energy to jump again. That black mist stuff I did took up 90% of my body's energy, and that includes the energy needed to run daily functions like keeping my heart beating and my mind awake. During those days I started my way back up the country, following the path I took when I was younger. For some twisted reason I was back on the run. Honestly, I must've done something super horrible in a past life or something to deserve this. Jesus.

I was currently ducking though the shadows of a smaller town when I heard a young boy cry out. I scampered through the allies, looking for the sound. There was no way I would let a little kid get hurt.

I rounded a corner and took in three men cornering a small boy. The boy was shaking, but didn't make anymore sounds. His huge blue eyes were damp and crocodile tears ran down his cheeks. His face had a large cut from nose to ear, and that was what shifted my mind from just wanting to protect the kid to wanting to kill the men who cornered him.

"Hey girl! Get out of here or you're gonna get it!" One of the men screamed at me. The boy whimpered. I grinned.

"Try me." I said, and then launched myself at the men. Three large football player sized men against one 15-year-old girl should be an easy win, but I had strength and anger on my side. They stood no chance.

As I flew through the air I spun my body around and chambered a fist, then as I landed I whirled around wicked fast and knocked the first man's head with the blade of my hand. He stamped back holding his jaw as the other two charged at me. As they chambered to punch, I ducked and rolled, grabbing one guys leg with me. He fell hard, his head crunching against the concrete. I now stood between the men and the boy, and I whipped a hand out to tell the boy to stay put. The men growled.

"Foolish girl. You don't stand a chance," the man who I punched said, spitting blood. I winked cheekily.

"Like I said, try me. I doubt you could get a punch in," I said, raising my eyebrows tauntingly. The men hissed.

"So be it, bitch," The first man growled. I get called that a lot don't I? I laughed. As the men launched themselves at me again I channeled a little of my magic into a punch. As the first man charged at me I hit him with a punch that thudded on his chest and threw him back 30 feet. The other two men flinched, but kept attacking. I threw more punches, then channeled more power into my feet and stomped on the concrete, creating a huge crack that vibrated and threw the men back 15 feet. The boy behind me cried out. I threw up a quick invisible shield then turned and ran to him.

"Hey, hey, hey, its okay. I'm not going to hurt you," I said softly, cradling the boy in my arms. His light blond hair was short and cropped, and his huge blue eyes looked up at me pleadingly. His lower lip trembled.

"They-they came-I- I tried to fight-but-but I'm only-only eight," he whimpered, burying his head in my chest. My heart swelled. What kind of shitheads were attacking an eight-year-old?

"Hey, I'm going to get you out of here. Where do you live?" I asked, preparing myself to jump. I felt my body pulling the shadows out of the ally, but my heart stopped when the boy spoke.

"I don't live anywhere. I'm-I'm homeless," he whispered. I looked up frantically to see the men pounding on my shield. I grit my teeth.

"Do you want to come with me? I can get you somewhere safe. I promise," I said, then wrapped the small boy's hand in my own and stood. I quickly wiped his cheek with my hand, his cut disappearing as I healed it. He smiled faintly.

"Ok, we are going to travel, but it might not be what you expect. I promise you will be safe though, okay?" I said. The small boy nodded. I looked up at the men.

"See you again," I taunted, and then let the shield down. Three huge figures jumped at the small boy and me, but we were already dissolving into the shadows.

k sorry for the super short chapter, but it needed to end there. i will try to make longer chapters but i dont have a ton of time. sorry:/

xx - syd