Chapter 96 - Firewhiskey

The moment I reached a tiny, empty corridor, I let out a shuddering gasp. I squeezed my eyes closed tightly and held my hands against my chest, backing into the wall. I refused to let tears roll down my cheeks, but dry sobs racked my body. Voldemort could take my powers away. He could render me completely useless – or even put me under his control again. I slid to the floor, trying to compute what Draco had said.

And what I had done.

I had known the consequences of my actions, and yet I had kissed Draco. Not the other way around. I knew he could be playing me again, he could be the bait to pull me back to Voldemort, and yet my heart would not let go of the goddam boy. My lips still tingled.

I stayed there for what seemed like hours. Nobody came by, which was good, but I felt like I wouldn't be able to move on my own unless somebody could help me up. My body was numb.

"Saige?" A soft voice called. I had been almost asleep when I heard it, but I was unable to react. A blurry figure swam in front of me, but I couldn't make out whom it was. They reached for my cold hands and folded them into their warm ones. "Bloody hell, you're freezing!" The voice said, and then I knew who it was. Crimson hair finally found its way into my vision, and within a moment I was getting hauled to my feet.

"Ron?" I wheezed, suddenly feeling the cold. I noticed that my breath fogged in front of my face. Ron wrapped an arm under my shoulders. I struggled to regain my strength.

"Yeah?" He asked. I untangled myself and stood up straight with some difficulty. I blinked sleep out of my eyes.

"What... What time is it?" I asked through a small yawn. My eyesight finally cleared. Ron was standing with snow in his hair in front of me.

"Its like 11 – you've been gone for hours. All of us were looking for you. We thought you had froze yourself to death or something," He said gloomily. I blinked away. They thought I had tried to kill myself again.

"I just – I had to talk to someone. I needed to know. And yeah, it's all true, by the way. The dreams, him being able to take them away, all of it." I said quickly. Ron's face paled.

"How? How are you sure?" Ron asked. I started walking back towards the common room, unable to put my thoughts into words. Ron hurried to catch up with me.

"Yes." I tugged my sweater closer to my body, trying to savour warmth. For some reason, the magic surging through my blood did nothing to warm my cold body. Ron finnaly grabbed my shoulder and spun me around. His blue eyes shone furiously.

"Saige, stop!" He hissed. I pulled back slightly. Ron immediately faltered, glancing away for a moment. I took a steadying breath.

"What?" I asked, my voice hard. Ron finally looked back at me.

"I can read you better than you know, you're aware of that right?" He said. I looked at him quizzically. "I can see you, you're doing it again. Tucking yourself back into that steel cocoon you've woven. You're protecting yourself but I can see that you've pulled back into that state – that harsh, cold, emotionless girl that is consumed by rage and revenge. Please Saige, come back. Don't leave us to deal with Voldemort without our friend – because we can't control the other you that you become. We can't help you when you hide yourself behind a wall of steel. Please Saige, be strong with us, but don't shut us out." Ron pleaded, his words coming out fast.

I stared at him. How could he possibly know what was going on inside my head? How could he so perfectly put into words exactly what I was battling with?

We stared at each other for a moment before Ron broke eye contact and turned his head. I kept staring at the spot his eyes had been in surprise, unable to speak.