Chapter 88 - Its Going Around

K, here's the chapter that I was supposed to update, so sorry again. and it's also pretty short so sorry for that too. :/ <3

I was beyond tired of everyone's shit by the time I remembered that I had been invited to Slughorn's Christmas party. I had realized this right after I had gotten back to my room after seeing Draco, which just pushed my mood down further. I was beginning to wonder how bad it would be if I skipped it, but I had a feeling Slughorn would take it as a personal offense. So, I decided to suck it up and go – which unfortunately required me finding a partner. I had been pretty sure that Hermione was going ask Ron, but now, I was positive she wasn't going to go near Ron with a ten-foot pole. Who knew whom she was going to ask now.

Had this been last year, I wouldn't have hesitated to ask Draco to go – but now his name was like a bullet through the brain. Enough. I hissed at myself.

I had finally just given up and asked Ron, but he said he didn't want to go. So, I was left with no one. It was the day before the party. I didn't give him a hard time – I knew how he felt. I didn't want to go either. Exasperated, I finally gave up and headed up to the Ravenclaw tower – where I could hopefully find Hayley, Mina or Brooklyn.

"What are you doing here?" One of the 7th year girls spat when I knocked on the common room door. She didn't open the door – she just opened the tiny latch to look through.

"Easy, just wanted to know if Hayley, Brooklyn, or Mina was here?" I said, annoyed. The girl's face relaxed the tiniest bit. She disappeared for a second, and then Mina was walking out of the door. I smiled at the girl.

"Hey Saige, haven't talked in forever!" She exclaimed. I shrugged.

"It's been a long few months," I shrugged. Mina's long chocolate hair swayed behind her as we walked back through the castle.

"What's the matter?" She asked. I ran a hand through my own messy hair; secretly envying Mina's seemingly perfect hair.

"What isn't the matter," I muttered bitterly. Mina flashed me a look. I took a breath. "Everyone's fighting. Harry and I, Hermione and Ron." I explained. Mina's face fell.

"Really? I'm sorry... Seems like that's going around though," She said quietly. We got to the library, walking over to plop on the couches in the corner by the window. Snow fell steadily outside, coating the world in white.

"What do you mean?" I asked her. Mina's face seemed to gain 10 years of age.

"Hayley and Brooklyn – they haven't been getting along lately. I feel like a mediator. I don't really know what to do," She said sadly. I bit my lip.

"I'm sorry, I wish I could help," I said quietly. I pulled at a tear in the sweater I was wearing.

"And its over the stupidest thing too – I swear I want to slap both of them, they're being so unreasonable. They both want to date Drew – the older boy in your house," Mina explained. I raised an eyebrow, extremely surprised.

"Drew?" I asked unbelieving. My eyes were no doubt as wide as saucers. And yet, I couldn't help but chuckle a little bit.

"What?" Mina asked when I started to laugh.

"You're right – it's stupid. But it's pretty much the same reason that Ron and Hermione are fighting," I said with a tiny smile. Mina's eyes lifted and started to glitter.

"The lovebirds are fighting? How unpredictable," She teased. I chuckled again.

"I know, can you believe it? It's just like, will they just kiss already?" I laughed. Mina nodded, a smile growing across her face. We burst into laughter, sitting in the library for a while after that while we talked and gossiped. It lifted my spirits immensely, even with the knowledge that the other three girls weren't doing any better than the three and me. But it was nice to let go of everything for a bit.

"So what will it take for you and Lightning boy to get along too?" Mina finally asked once we quieted down. It was getting late, I could feel my eyes drooping, but yet I somehow found the energy to talk about it.

"We were arguing about a book Harry found – it has a ton of answers to potions stuff in it, and he has been getting really good marks in potions. I was giving him crap about it, but you know, it escalated. We started to fight about advantages, then he brought up this," I explained quietly. I held up a hand, silver mist swirling around my fingers. Mina smiled softly.

"He doesn't think it's fair that you have your powers?" She asked. I shrugged.

"He doesn't have the right to think that this is a blessing. If he knew what I went through to get this..." I trailed off, and then took a deep breath. "My magic isn't a gift – it's a scar. And Harry doesn't get to be jealous – I didn't ask for it," I said finally. Mina nodded.

"So that's why you're fighting?" She asked. I took another breath.

"He told me I was scaring everyone in the school. That I was a threat – a weapon poised to go off. That's why were fighting." I said sadly. Mina looked away for a moment.

"You're not scaring us Saige. Not me, not Hayley or Brooklyn. Not even our house. Most of us are in awe of you – you've been through so much and yet you are so resilient. We wonder what it takes to keep you going – we value knowledge, power, and perseverance." Mina said with a small smile. I looked at her in awe. They weren't scared of me. The thought sat comfortable in my mind.

"Really?" I asked with wide eyes. Mina nodded with a smile.

"Yup!" She said happily. I let my smile spread across my face. "C'mon you, its getting late. We should probably get back soon," She grinned. I stood with her, chatting until we made it back to her common room. I thanked her, than gave her some advice for Brooklyn and Hayley.

"Just force them to work together – to relate to similar things. Trick them into hanging around each other again like nothing ever happened." I grinned. Mina nodded, bidding me goodbye as she walked in. I turned, smiling to myself. I needed that.

Slughorn's party was horrible. I can say that easily. I ended up going with Neville, who stayed to talk with some of the other boys while I chatted with Ginny the entire night. Ginny looked gorgeous in her long, dark green dress, but I felt slightly underdressed in my black cocktail dress. Neville hadn't minded, but everyone else here had been slightly more formal. Whatever. Hermione had apparently gone with Cormac, who had been crushing on her earlier in the year, and Harry went with Luna. I had been surprised when he didn't show up with Cho, but I wasn't about to go ask him about his ex-girlfriend.

I was the first out the doors when the party was over, especially after Draco showed up at one point claiming to be 'date-crashing'. The bags under his eyes had gotten worse since the other day, but I knew I needed fresh air after he left. After the party, I spent the night with my curtains closed on my bed, playing with my magic because I couldn't sleep. We were leaving for break tomorrow morning, and yet the sinking feeling in my stomach had only gotten worse. I still had slight traces of dark makeup on my eyes from the party, but I was too lazy to wipe it off as I lay down to try my attempt at sleep.