Chapter 43- A Chat with Moody And Strange Secrets

The days after the Yule Ball were rough. Hermione and Ron had gotten into a fight, and Harry and I were obviously not talking. Hermione and I were still hanging out, but we felt lost without the two idiots to make fun of. The days were spent dashing between classes to avoid the two and sitting on separate sides of the common room at night. I couldn't stand the feeling, but I was not going to take back what I said. I meant it. Hermione felt the same way about her argument with Ron. Apparently they had gotten in a fight because Ron wanted to ask Hermione and was mad about Krum. Boys.

"Mione, what's the answer to number two?" I whispered to Hermione as we sat in the common room doing homework. I was stuck on the history of magic take-home quiz. Hermione huffed, but circled the answer. I thanked her quickly then started to read the next question when the common room door opened. All of the heads turned to see whom it was, but none of us expected Professor McGonagall.

"Hello, sorry for the interruption, but I need to see Saige Walker," She called out. My mind froze. My eyebrows knit as I stood up slowly. What did I do? I swear I didn't do anything! Thoughts were swimming through my head. I glanced at Hermione, but her face was as confused as mine.

I walked towards McGonagall as she instructed everyone to return to their work. "Don't worry dear, nothing bad. Professor Moody would like to talk to you. That's all. You aren't in trouble," she assured me. I nodded shakily.

I turned to assure Hermione that nothing was the matter, but I made the mistake of looking at Ron as my head turned, who was sitting next to Harry on the couch by the fire. His eyes met mine, but they didn't hold hate like I expected. I blinked away quickly, but I noticed that Ron's eyes looked sad. Forget it, I told myself.

I followed McGonagall as she walked through the castle to Moody's office. She patted me on the shoulder and ushered me through the thick curtains concealing the door. I gave her a weak smile, thanked her, and then knocked on the door as she walked away.

"If it isn't Saige Walker then go away," a gruff voice spat from inside. I gulped.

"Um- this is Saige," I called back. I grabbed my wand from my jean pocket and griped it behind my back. The door handle clicked and swung open. A large figure stood in the door.

"Oh good, it's you girl. Come in," He said, turning back and hobbling into the office. I took a deep breath and set my jaw. I was not going to let a teacher scare me. Following him in, I sat down on the small stool he pointed too after we got to his desk. Odd contraptions and instruments were placed and hung around the room, many of them showing smoky faces or white-eyed creatures.

"So. You and Potter. Not on a good note eh?" He said, pointing his wand at me. I gripped my own wand in my hand, but didn't raise it. How the hell did he know?

"Um- yeah, I guess," I said, looking down. Moody laughed, a bone chilling sound.

"Heh, young love. But serious business here. Potter has no idea how to figure out the egg, and as a teacher, I can't tell him. But I can tell you. Potter needs to succeed the tournament," He said, his tone dropping dangerously low. I stiffened.

"You want me to tell Harry how to figure out the clue?" I asked quietly. Moody nodded. I sucked in a breath. I could be expelled.

"Harry needs to take a bath with the egg- open it underwater. Tell him that. But don't tell him I told you- or mark my words I will expel you." He spat, jabbing his wand at me. I nodded shakily. What the rutting hell was this all about?