203.Library Encounter

“Daddiessss!” Hamish called out as he walked into the living room. “Daaaads!”

“What is it?” John asked, kneeling down in front of Hamish and picking him up. Sherlock stood behind him, watching the two.

“I ran out of books to read, can we go to the library?” Hamish asked, swinging his feet back and forth as John held him.

“Oh, of course.” John said and smiled, setting Hamish down. The child yayed and giggled, going to the door and pulling on his coat. John put on his parka, Sherlock put on his coat, flipping up his collar. They walked out and took a cab to the library, when they got there, Hamish ran inside and his two fathers had to chace after him.

While Sherlock was with Hamish, John waited behind and checked his own books out. He was too small to reach the top shelve, and while he was trying once, someone else took it down for him and held out the book to him.

“Hey,” She said.

John immediately got jealous. This woman was so much taller than him!

“Hey,” John responded, taking the book.

“So I saw you come in with that kid,” he gestured towards Hamish. At first she thought the tall coat-wearing man was a stranger, but he was smiling and talking with the kid and didn't seem threatening, so now she thought that was a friend. She noticed the ring on John's finger and thought his wife hadn't come.

“Yeah, that's Hamish…” John mumbled.

“He looks sweet. My kid is over there,” she pointed to a cute little kid with ginger hair, freckles, and glasses.

“Okay.” John didn't really like talking to this woman.

“Is your wife here?” She asked.

“Well actually--”

“Is she?”

John shrugged. “Hell if I know. I don't have a wife.”

“Oh, she's dead, isn't she?”

“No, I'm marr--”

“I'm sorry for your loss.”

With a sigh and roll of his eyes, John shook his head. He felt like this woman wanted something from him. So he asked: “Do you want something?”

“Maybe. Wanna go out for coffee later to talk a little more?” She asked.

“No, actually. I have a family to spend my time with.”

“Who's in your family?”

“My husband.” John mumbled, walking away. An embarrassed blush spread over the woman's face as she watched John walk up to his son and the other man, leaning up and kissing him, and getting kissed back. He whispered a few things to him and nuzzled his shoulder.

“That's fine, you're a handsome man,” Sherlock whispered, running his hand through John's hair.

John smiled and kissed Sherlock's lips again, then Hamish tugged on his trousers and he looked down.

“I have the books I wanted!” Hamish started to waddled to the front desk, the books unbalancing him. Sherlock picked up the books and walked to the front desk, checking them all out before taking Hamish’s hand and putting an arm around John's waist, walking out with them.