273.Rosamund's Birthday

“What do you mean?”

“We need you to come, Mycroft. She wants her uncle to be there.”

Mycroft sighed through the phone, closing his eyes and putting his face in his hands. “Why, Sherlock? Why does she want me there?”

“Because Rosamund loves you,” Sherlock chuckled. “she wants you to come.”

Mycroft rolled his eyes. “Will there be cake?” He asked.

“Yes. There will be a big birthday cake for her.” Sherlock smiled.

“Alright. I'll be there. When is it again?” Mycroft asked.

“It's tomorrow. Rosamund has something she wants you to wear, too. She's going to give it to you at the party. You should wear it, or there's no cake for you.”

“Alright. I'll go.” Mycroft frowned and hung up. Sherlock hung up, too, and walked to his daughter's room.

Rosamund, who was three and about to turn four, and John were playing dolls.

“Sammy! I thought we were going to get the pet cat, you bought me a dog!” Rosamund said, making her doll move as she talked.

“Oh, no,” John said, trying to sound like a girl. “I thought my name was Susan, but I'll have to go back to the pet store and buy a cat.”

“Good. We can go and get ice cream too.”

The two waddled their dolls to a box where a male doll was waiting. He had a uniform on and some ice cream toys next to him.

Rosie put her hand on the doll and made him move as he spoke. “Hello there ladies, would you like some ice cream?”

“Yeah, that'd be lovely!” John said, extending the dolls arm and accidentally knocking down an ice cream in a cone. “Oopsies! My bad!”

Sherlock laughed and knelt down, picking up a doll. “As much as I hate to break this up, I need to take Susan's for a bit.” he said, taking Susan the doll's hand and leading her away.

Rosie frowned and made a pouty face. John smiled and kissed her forehead, hugging her. “I'll be right back, Rosamund.” He stood up with Sherlock and they walked out of the room, leaving the dolls with their daughter.

“So what did Mycroft say?” John asked, taking his husband's hand and leaning up to kiss him.

“He's coming.” Sherlock nodded.

“Oh, good,” John smiled. Rosamund walked out of her room and tugged on John's trousers.

“Daddy, Toby is eating the doll’s hand.”

John sighed and walked back into the room. He picked up their puppy German Shepherd and brought him back out. “Bad Toby.”

Toby barked and panted, wagging his tail.

John smiled and let the pup down. He barked a few more times and ran down the stairs to chase after Snowella, their fluffy white cat Rosamund named after watching Snow White and Cinderella a bunch of times in a row.

Sherlock smiled and kissed John's lips quickly, squeezing his hand. “I'm going to go downstairs and make more preparations for the party.” He booped John's nose. “You can continue to play dolls.”

John nodded and chuckled, kissing Sherlock's cheek and turning away. He and Rosamund walked back into her room and they continued to play. Sherlock went downstairs to see what was going on, Toby had the chasing him for a change, she was running after him and pounced on him.

Sherlock picked up the cat and smiled. She was a blind cat, but she had no problems doing anything a normal cat could do, like chasing an annoying dog.

He cradled the cat and pet Toby, smiling. Snowella wiggled out of his arms and walked to his chair, jumping up to it and laying down.

Sherlock smiled and went to the kitchen. The rest of the day passed quickly, and soon they were tucking Rosamund into bed and going to sleep themselves.

~~~~Birthday Day!

Rosamund yelled as she ran into Sherlock and John's room, Toby following her excitedly and barking. “Daaaaadds!” She yelled, “DAADS!”

“...What? Huh?” Sherlock asked, opening his eyes. He yawned, moving back and pressing himself against John's chest. “Five more minutes, Sweetie…”

John opened his eyes and looked at Rosamund. He smiled softly and kissed Sherlock's neck before sitting up. They always cuddled when they slept, and it gave them a good night's rest, always. Sherlock whined when John moved away, but woke up when Rosie put Toby on the bed and he started licking Sherlock's face.

The detective sat up, running into the bathroom and turning on the sink. He dunked his head into the water and closed his eyes.

Rosie laughed and jumped up and down. “It's my birthday! Wake up you lazy dads!” She giggled and smiled widely.

John laughed quietly and got up. He pet Snowella, who was curled up on a pillow on their bed, then took Toby off the bed and stretched. “Go upstairs, Rosie. You need a bath.” He smiled. “And you need to get dressed. You can't go to your birthday party wearing my jumpers.”

“Why not?”

“Hold out your arms.”

Rosie listened to her father and held out her arms. She was so small, the jumper touched the ground and the sleeves were bigger than her arms. “Go upstairs and get ready. I'll be up there to help you soon.”

Rosie nodded and smiled, running off. John grabbed some clothes for himself and Sherlock. He walked into the bathroom and kissed Sherlock's lips. They took a bath, then afterwards, got dressed and ready.

Since Rosie was only four, she still needed help to shower so she had to wait until John could help her. After they were all ready, they went downstairs for breakfast.

Rosie loved all the decorations in the house that her dads set up for her. She sat down in her chair and John made breakfast.

She was so excited, but her party wasn't until later. Time passed slowly, and when her first guest came, she was really excited.

Mycroft was the first to show up. He walked inside and looked around the flat.

Sherlock and John walked to him and smiled. “Rosie said we have to wear costumes.”

“Oh, god,” Mycroft looked at them. John was dressed as a hedgehog and Sherlock was an otter.

“We have one for you, too. It's the main reason Rosie wanted you to come.”

Mycroft was silent, watching as his little brother left the room and came back a few minutes later. He handed Mycroft a unicorn costume. “Put it on.”

Rosie made puppy eyes and Mycroft put it on hesitantly.

Her friends came later and Mrs Hudson came upstairs with them too. Since all the adults had to have a costume, they gave her a cat costume and she put it on. Mycroft was embarrassed since all the kids wanted to ride him like he was an actual horse. He sat on the couch with Toby most the time, staring at the party happen and eating cake.