260.Wedding Practice

“Alright,” John cleared his throat. “I can do this. It's going to be perfect.”

“Are you ready, John?” Sherlock asked, folding his hands behind his back.

“Yes,” John looked up into Sherlock's eyes. They stared directly at each other, the contact not even wavering. For a moment, John felt like he was going to get swept away in the waves of Sherlock’s beautiful irises, but he shook his head and stopped himself.

“I love you,” John said, just as they rehearsed, but something about saying those words to Sherlock felt real. He didn't understand. Sherlock gave him a look that told him to continue. He looked down.

“Try again, John.” Sherlock said comfortingly.

“Okay,” John took a moment before collecting himself. He took Sherlock's hands. “I love you, you complete me like nobody ever did before you, and...” he trailed off.

“Again!” Sherlock said.

“You don't know how difficult this is, proposing to someone. The only time you did it was for a case.” John crossed his arms.

“Do it again or you'll never get it right.”

“Okay,” John took Sherlock's hands and looked meaningfully into his eyes. “I love you, and you complete me like nobody ever did before you, I know my life has improved with you in it,” he smiled and got on his knees. “so, my Dear, will you please marry me?”

Sherlock nodded and smiled. “Better.” He said, helping John up. “I know she'll say yes to that.”

John saw a little tint of sadness in Sherlock's eyes, but ignored it. Sherlock Holmes didn't get sad like that.

“Are you sure?” John asked.

“Yes.” Sherlock's voice cracked. He turned away and wiped his face. Oh, God, it hurt. The agonising torture. How could John be so dumb?! Why did Sherlock agree to help John with this? It was tearing him apart. He didn't know what to do. When John came to him saying he was going to propose to a woman he'd been dating after he 'died’, Sherlock felt like his entire life ended. Of course, all he wanted was for John to be happy, so he went along with it.

“Are you alright?” John asked, putting a hand on Sherlock's shoulder and walking to look at his face.

“Yes, John, I'm bloody alright!” Sherlock snapped. He took John's hand and set a hand on his shoulder, starting to dance with him. “How's your dancing going along?”

John was surprised by how quick the subject changed. He started to dance with Sherlock. They'd been practicing for the wedding, he knew Mary would say yes. “It's alright. I'm improving.”

“I can tell.” Sherlock smiled, staring into John's eyes. He wished they were practicing for their wedding, but he was getting married to someone else instead.

Sherlock wanted to start crying. John looked so beautiful and amazing, and he was going to belong to someone else.

Without even noticing, a tear trickled down Sherlock's cheek and fell onto the floor. Then another one. Then he was crying, his fake smile gone.

“Sherlock?” John asked, “What's wrong?”

“I just…” Sherlock thought up an excuse. What excuse could he use? Well… he could tell the truth. He could look John in the eyes and say, 'John Watson, I love you.’

Would he though?

No.

Never would he mess with John and make him so confused. He would be married soon.

“Dust flew into my eyes.” Sherlock said and ran to his room, closing the door and falling down to the floor. He couldn't keep this up. There was a part of him that just wanted to get down on his knees and claim John as his husband before anyone else could.

John walked into his room and sat down. He pulled Sherlock up, his head resting against the doctor's chest.

“It's okay,” John whispered, wrapping his arms around Sherlock and rocking him like a baby, back and forth, back and forth.

Sherlock set a hand on John's chest and leant into him. He calmed down, and soon, fell asleep. John picked up the man and walked him to his bed, laying him down. He tucked Sherlock in with the blanket and kissed his forehead.

He whispered something, then settled down, sleeping peacefully. John left the room and shut the lights, smiling to himself.