206.Working More

John started to work extra hours the last few weeks and Sherlock doesn't understand it. He thinks maybe John wants to spend more time away from him. It was odd, since they were well off on money and even if they weren't, Mycroft would support them as much as they needed.

Not having John around until bedtime was new. John didn't work at the hospital until seven fifty, and he was coming home at ten something. He said he got another job because he's saving up for something important. Sherlock could tell that was true and it was not an excuse, since he could deduct that John had indeed been working extra hours and was not cheating or going someplace he didn't want to get caught in like a strip club or drug den, John wasn't even the type of person to go to those though, he'd rather be at home.

“Hey there…” Sherlock whispered as John crawled into bed, looking tired.

“Hello, my Darling.” John responded, yawning quietly. He snuggled up with his boyfriend, his face buried against his shoulder. He yawned, closing his eyes and getting ready to sleep.

“Want to do something before sleeping?” Sherlock asked, kissing John's cheek.

“No, Honey… I'm tired. Can we just cuddle?”

“Of course,” Sherlock whispered, putting his arms around John's body and pulling him closer. They both closed their eyes and went to sleep.

Sherlock woke up alone, like usual. John was an early bird and he usually got up to do his morning routine and make breakfast. Sherlock got out of bed slowly, putting on the bunny slippers John got him for his birthday last year. He picked up the blue dressing gown that was on the ground (due to a recent night of thrilling activity), and put it on.

He walked downstairs and saw John in the kitchen, humming and whistling as he made breakfast.

“Hello, my Sunshine,” Sherlock said and walked up to John, kissing his cheek.

“Hey, Baby,” John pecked a kiss on Sherlock's lips and put two plates of breakfast on the table, eating quickly before walking to the door and putting on his parka and boots. “I have to go early, love you, goodbye!”

Sherlock was half done with his toast by the time John was out of the flat. He sighed, standing up.

When John came back so many hours later, Sherlock was sitting on the floor, papers around himself and fingers steepled. John walked to him and kissed his head, yawning and going to the bedroom to sleep.

Sherlock had figured out why John wanted more money. He needed to buy something-- something expensive that you only need to buy once. He hadn't noticed he'd spent the entire day making up theories about what John was going to buy.

He got up, got ready, and walked out of the flat, taking out his phone and clicking on a special contact, whose picture was of a bunch of junk food like cake, cookies, and  ice cream all together “...Hello, Brother Dear.”

---A little while later

Mycroft sent one of his employees out to give Sherlock a thousand quid, meeting up with him at a store. The time was 11:23, but the store was open until midnight and Sherlock had time. He walked through the door, the cold air hitting his face like a cotton ball.

Sherlock closed the door behind himself, putting his hands in his pocket and looking around, his head tilted slightly as he browsed the items. After buying what was needed, Sherlock came back home. He walked inside and went upstairs, kicking off his shoes and sliding his jacket off his shoulders, untying his scarf and letting his gloves fall to the floor with the little pile. He crawled onto the bed, kneeling above John.

“Sherlock…?” John asked, his eyes opening.

Sherlock's eyes seemed to sparkle as he looked John over. He smirked and tilted his head a little.

“I'm too tired to do much, sorry Sherl. Lay down and go to sleep.”

John probably thought Sherlock wanted sex. Well, that wasn't wrong, but he didn't want it right now. Sherlock laid down and tangled his legs together with John, resting his face against the other man's neck.

They got up in the morning. Sherlock got up early, took a shower, wrapped up his blue dressing gown around himself, and waited for John, nervously twisting around the small box in his hands.

When John woke, he sat up and yawned, his eyes staying closed as he stretched his arms over his head.

Now Sherlock was having last minute regrets. Should he have put on a tuxedo or something fancy? He was literally only wearing his blue dressing gown and socks, nothing else, nothing more. Sherlock cleared his throat and knelt down onto his knees. “John Watson…”

John opened his eyes and looked over at Sherlock, gasping. He looked around the rest of the room before back at his boyfriend, who looked so perfect with the little box in front of his face, shiny wedding band resting on the purple velvet cushion.

“Marry me?” Sherlock asked.

John frowned and stood up. “You knew I was going to do that, didn't you?!”

“Yep.”

John pulled out a box and knelt down in front of Sherlock, opening the small box and smiling. “I'm not going to marry you, unless you marry me first.”

Sherlock nodded, putting a ring on John's finger as he did the same to him. Sherlock launched at him, arms around his waist, hugging him tightly.

“Of course I will marry you, John!”

“And I quit the other job after I bought this, so we'll have more time together.”

“That sounds perfect,” Sherlock whispered, kissing him.