248.Listen

Sherlock sunk back, looking up at John sort of sadly and then back down to the floor. He shifted a little and curled up between the arms of his chair, closing his eyes.

He had tried to say something light hearted and funny, but sort of messed up and hurt John's feelings. They had been talking about how John just explained a theory he thought of for a case and Sherlock was completely ignoring him, only listening because he liked the doctor's voice, and just as people listened to music, Sherlock listened to his voice.

Sure, that was a ‘compliment,’ then Sherlock said something about how the first few months they lived with each other he barely listened to John as sort of a joke.

That made John sad.

Because he was sad, that made Sherlock sad.

He didn't mean it that way. He just wanted to make John laugh or say something funny in return. Sherlock curled up, afraid John didn't like him because what he said.

What people thought of Sherlock were the least of his worries. What John thought of Sherlock was what he cared about. He loved John, secretly, and his opinion meant everything.

He curled up sadly and looked at John, who was sinking into his chair and trying to hide his face with a book he wasn't even reading.

Sherlock stood up after a few minutes and moved the book from John's face, looking down at him with a frown. His emotions towards John were so passionate and intense. He felt like he was going to cry if John didn't forgive him.

“How much do you ignore me?” John asked quietly, putting the book down and looking at Sherlock.

“Not much… I-I just meant that as something funny, I'm so sorry…” he whispered, cupping John's cheek. “I listen to you a lot, John. I didn't want to hurt your feelings.”

John smiled sadly. “It's fine.. I shouldn't have gotten angry anyways.”

Sherlock smiled a little in response and stared at John, but not his eyes, his lips. He wished to kiss them so much, he yearned for the time they could press lips together, if that was going to ever happen anyways.

John wrapped his arms around the back of Sherlock’s neck and leant up, pressing his lips against the other man's.

John had just been thinking of the same thing, so he couldn't resist just a little taste of Sherlock’s precious lips. He tried to pull away after a few seconds, but Sherlock kept him in the kiss for more. He smiled a little when Sherlock didn't let go.

They broke the kiss when they needed to breathe, and both of them were beaming with happiness. It seemed like the sadness all melted away.

Sherlock sat down on John's lap, kissing him again and enjoying it, his eyes closing. “I love you so much,” he whispered, then blushed. “I-I mean… I would. I would love you so much… I-If I could…” he blushed harder, turning away. “I can't… obviously.”

John laughed softly. That beautiful, lovely laugh, it made Sherlock smile widely. He loved hearing John laugh.

“You're cute. I love you too, Sherlock.”