246.Hallucinations

Sherlock injected the needle into his arm, leaning back and against the wall, letting out a calm sigh. He closed his eyes, his mouth slightly a open.

The liquid transferred from the needle to his veins and he let it fall to the floor, kicking it away with his bare foot.

He steepled his fingers, leaning against the wall for support. Ever since John left him, he'd been taking more and more drugs. He'd just gotten a bag of syringes from Bill Wiggins, his friend and dealer.

It seemed like the shaking in his hands went away as he satisfied his urges, letting the quiet feeling of the drugs alter his mind and body.

He opened his eyes and looked up. He could see John. That was one of the reasons why he took the drugs, so he could see his friend, even if it was only a hallucination. It didn't matter if it was only for a short amount of time, at least he could see John.

“Sherlock,” John set his hands on Sherlock's shoulders. They felt awfully real and Sherlock figured he must've taken too many drugs. He leant in and held John's wrists, falling into his chest. This felt like more than his imagination, never before did John hold Sherlock and it felt so real like this.

“Sherlock, it's me…” John whispered, rubbing his friend's back softly. “We need to get you to a hospital…”

“Y-you're j-just a ha-hallucination…” Sherlock whispered, leaning into John.

“No I'm not, it's me. I'm really here.” John whispered, holding Sherlock closely.

“N-no it's not… t-the real y-you wouldn't be here..” Hot tears streamed down Sherlock's cheeks and he started to sob.

“Why?” John asked, holding Sherlock's hand.

“B-because you chose her…” Sherlock whispered, almost like it was hard for him to admit.

“Maybe I should call more..” John considered, moving closer to Sherlock and pulling the man up onto his lap. He held Sherlock's hand and rubbed his back. “It's really me, Sherlock. I came to see how you're doing.”

“No!” Sherlock yelled, sobbing into John's chest. John moved his hand up a little more, rubbing the tears from his face. “I-it's not y-you!”

“Calm down, Sherlock…” John whispered, looking at all the small holes in Sherlock's arm at where he inserted syringes. John sighed quietly, rocking Sherlock back and forth. It hurt so much to see him like this.

“Y-you're not real!” Sherlock said in a sob. “Y-you don't c-care enough a-about me to visit-- o-or even call me often!” Sherlock yelled, sobbing hysterically. “Y-you don't even l-love me!”

“Shh, shh… Sherlock, calm down…” John felt like he was going to cry now. “I-I do love you… Is that what you want to hear? I'm a father, I'm married, there's nothing I can do about it, okay? I knew I loved you the day I lost you, it was like my entire world crashed, you were the only thing I cared about, my life revolved around you.” John hugged Sherlock tightly, tears streaming down his cheeks. “I wish I was married to you, not her. It's heartbreaking to see you like this, I know you need me.”

“Th-then w-why don't you k-kiss me?” Sherlock asked, moving his hand up and cupping John's cheeks.

“Just one kiss, okay? Don't tell anybody about it.” John leant down and kissed Sherlock's lips gently.

But Sherlock wanted more, he wrapped his arms around the back of John's neck and pulled him closer, deepening the kiss. They kissed each other loving, and John allowed it. He set his hand on Sherlock's thigh and kissed him, his eyes fluttering shut.

Even though his lips were quivering and his hands were slightly shaking, the kiss felt magical.

“I love you,” John said as he pulled away from the kiss.

“I-If you really l-loved me, you w-would stay…” Sherlock said, looking up.

Something about those pretty eyes convinced John. He wiped Sherlock's tears away. “I love you, and I'll stay with you.”

That made Sherlock smile and he leant into John shoulder, letting out a soft breath. “I-I love you, t-too, J-John…”

“I can't raise Rosamund by myself.” John said, looking at Sherlock. His eyes seemed to sparkle and he crawled out of John's arms, going to the bedside table. He came back to John a few minutes later and sat on top his lap again.

“W-will you marry me th-then, J-John…? A-and divorce Mary…?” He asked.

John stared at Sherlock's hands as he opened a box and showed an engagement ring. It was dusty and looked like it had been untouched for months.

“Yes, of course. When did you buy that?” John smiled softly, letting Sherlock slip the ring on his finger, it clinked against the other one. Sherlock's ring had SH + JW ♥ engraved on it and was decorated beautifully. His ring that declared him as Mary's husband was only a normal ring, with nothing on it. John smiled and looked up at Sherlock, thinking his ring was beautiful.

“I… I bought it the d-day I came back for you… I wanted to marry you, b-but you were o-obviously taken…” Sherlock pouted at the memory.

“It's sort of crappy to divorce someone because a new lover is found, but I'll try to tell her easily. She knows I love you. I told her the day we got married that I still had feelings for you.”

Sherlock smiled, but his smile slowly fell. He cuddled against John, his eyes closing. He fell asleep a few seconds later and John stood up. Sherlock could overdose in his sleep, so John called an ambulance and brought Sherlock to the hospital. Later that day, he broke it off with Mary. She understood and they got a divorce. John got custody of the child and married Sherlock a while later.