Chapter 40: Bad News

I do not own One Piece

...................................

The thought that she had even considered it surprised me. Arisu was known for refusing anyone any kind of training. I had thought she would flat out refuse. Especially since I am a pirate.

'I would consider it. But, you apparently need to leave soon. That kind of training can't be done in a week.' Then she followed up by saying something that nearly made me die.

'Actually, I was more interested in taking you as my apprentice. You have raw talent in your drawings, and I wanted to see what I could pull from it.' Then she had sighed while I proceeded to have a heart attack. 'I should have known when I finally found someone to teach they wouldn't be able to learn.'

I knew this was a once in a lifetime offer. It was an offer almost every artist dreams of, myself included. The thought of being trained by the best artist the world has ever seen was something I had definitely set my eyes on years ago. However, I was a Straw Hat. My crew is waiting for me, since I'm already a day behind I'm sure. We need to continue onto to Fishman island.

As much as it pained me, I had to decline the offer. Arisu didn't take it personally thankfully, though she assured me that the offer still stood if I changed my mind. Of course I didn't saw much after that, since I knew there wasn't much that would change my mind.

Night had fallen, bringing to life lit lanterns and hidden art painted across the cobblestone streets. When I had expected the music I heard earlier to quiet down, a new set of musicians joined the streets. Instantly I could notice the change, their music is different.

It is effortless and full of life. It brought tears to my eyes and uplifted my soul at the same time. Each tune grasped my attention and carried me to the next. Goosebumps covered my arms as the musicians played, bringing their music into one giant symphony. They didn't have to look at one another, they didn't even need a composer. They just played.

Yet, it wasn't just music. It wasn't just some musicians playing some instruments.

"Those are the masters." A calm voice said beside me, Arisu. I glanced away from the musicians and towards the artist to see her face relaxed with a small smile present. "During the day their students practice and at night they come out. I don't personally think they sleep a lot, but they always wave me off as they have to play their music because they have a certain tune in their head that they must get out. It still amazes me how every night is a different song." She looked at me. "I hope you can tell the difference, not everyone can."

Slowly, I nodded and looked back towards the musicians. Those with violins raised their bows in sync, despite starting at different times. A soft whisper of a flute would join in, followed by a steady strumming of a guitar. Though no words were sung, it didn't feel like there was any need for words.

"I thought the music earlier was beautiful." I whispered, afraid to offset the music. "But this..." I trailed off.

"Yes." The woman nodded in agreement, "Come on, I'm not cooking, and the least I can do is treat my niece. Tomorrow I'll help you prepare for your trip. I'm sure my little shit of a brother showed you some navigation skills, so you should be set once I get you some supplies."

I winced, but stayed silent for now. Something tells me

..................................

There were no words for the food. I had thought only Sanji would be able to provide food of which I could actually taste and enjoy. Yet, here I sat, practically stuffing my face with the dish I had been served.

My stomach rumbled as I continued to stuff my face, as it was finally being satisfied. I had forgotten how hungry I was since my stomach had gone numb a few hours after it started growling. Sitting across from me with a disgusted frown sat Arisu. I had a feeling I was grossing her out with how I was eating.

She wouldn't have lasted one meal with my crew.

"When was the last time you ate?" She asked, curling her lip as she softly looked back at her untouched food. "Or do you always eat like a savage?"

I paused to look at her, swallowing the food in my mouth. "I don't know actually. I think it was Monday? What is today actually, like Tuesday? I've kinda been out of it."

She blinked at me, her mouth opening in shock. "Katsu, it's Saturday. That was five days ago." Then she looked back at the food which I was still inhaling. "No wonder you're eating like that. Why didn't you say something earlier?"

I shrugged, "I did ask you first if you could cook, then you ended up kicking my ass. Then I lost feeling...." I trailed off, my eyes widening. "Wait! Five days ago?!" My hands slammed on the table in front of me.

The retired marine didn't flinch as she finally took a bite of her food, instead she nodded unbothered. "Yes, apparently so."

"I need to leave faster then." I muttered, "Like, two days ago faster."

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a newspaper in the hands of another person. Standing up I walked over to the man and held out my hand. Arisu's questioning voice served only as background noise as all my attention was placed on that newspaper.

"I need to see that." I demanded.

The man looked up at me then shrugged and handed it over. "The comics aren't that great, and this one is a bit old. We don't get newspapers here everyday, so its a bit dated."

Ignoring him, I closed the paper and looked at the cover. I had to stare at it for a good few seconds before I could completely believe the picture. Then my heart started pounding in my ears and a chill went up my body.

"Ace." I muttered, "How the hell did you let him capture you?"

"What are you looking at?" Arisu asked, looking over my shoulder to see the newspaper. "Oh, Fire Fist Ace. Yeah, from what I heard some pirate called Blackbeard turned him in. He's to be executed by tomorrow. I'm sure they're prepared well for war." She rolled her eyes. "Hell, if they knew my actual location I bet they would come drag me into this too, considering who he is."

"Who he is?" I narrowed my eyes at her, feeling the burning anger flare up in me.

"Garp made me swear to silence." She responded quietly, "Not that I was gonna say anything anyway. I was a week away from retiring." Then her eyebrows pulled in annoyance. "That damn woman even demanded I stay silent. She had the nerve to threaten to silence me herself over some damn captain's kid."

I handed the paper back to the man and turned to look at Arisu. "I need to get there. My crew's gonna have to wait a day or two."

"You won't make it." She said, then before I could snap she continued. "It's a week's time from here. You will not make it."

My lips pulled into a tight line as I looked at the ground. There had to be something I could do for Ace. I still owed him for helping me.

"Damn it." I scoffed, tuning around and walking out the restaurant.

........................

End of Chapter 40!

It's a short chapter, but I'm gonna be doing a flashback chapter after this one which should be longer. Any thoughts or predictions on the upcoming chapters?

This is not edited.