Chapter 56: *Filler* Days with Mamoru (Part 1)

I don't own One Piece

So quick note, the events that happen in this chapter have happened in the story line, it just wasn't necessarily important to the plot. Therefore I figured I would just add it in as a filler chapter.

Enjoy!
.............................
3rd POV
Katsu Age: 9
............................

It had been a week since the Emerald Pirates have left. Though the crew was reluctant to leave behind the red headed child, they knew she was better taken care of on the island. Perhaps the most reluctant was the captain of the crew. While he had only been around the child for a week, the fact that he had named her was enough for him to form a strong bond. One that made it painful for him to leave her behind.

However with a scolding from Mamoru, a big shot retired pirate, the Captain left the lost Child. Of course not without leaving her with a promise of coming back once she was old enough to set sail.

A week had passed, the the red head was still quiet. While her silence drove Mamoru nuts, he understood. To her she has only three weeks of memories, and everything is completely new to her. Especially Mamoru.

To her the one eyed man is intimating. His permanent scowl only brought more fear to her. After all, the nice Captain before had been nothing but smiles.

Perhaps the transition of Mamoru taking over as her caretaker would have been easier if the two had actually spent time together the first two weeks.

The two currently sat at the old dinner table, which Mamoru had refurbished himself. They sat in silence eating the steaming meal that the man had prepared. The child had her head tucked as far down as she could and didn't dare look up from her plate of food. Her red hair, which went an inch below her shoulders, acting as curtains to her face. Across from her sat Mamoru, who as usual had his scowl on his face as he stared down the child. His mouth slowly chewing the food as his attention didn't leave the timid child.

After he swallowed his food he paused. A sigh escaped him. Clearly he needed to do something, as the child appeared terrified on him.

"My Dad used to make me sit straight up at the dinner table." Mamoru stated, almost kicking himself from the comment. How was that going to get her to open up more?

However, much to his surprise, she looked up at him. While she did sit a little taller, a curious look crossed her face. One he had seen while she talked with the Emerald Pirates.

"What's a 'Dad'?" Her voice was still small and raspy. The doctor had told Mamoru it might be up to a month before her vocal cords heal fully, though they weren't sure what had damaged them so badly.

The question confused Mamoru for a moment until he realized she didn't possess more than three weeks of memories. "A Dad is a parent figure. They typically can go with a 'Mom', though that's not always the case. They work together to raise children, hopefully in a nice manner."

She paused before looking back at him. "So are you like my Dad then?"

Mamoru flinched at the comment, his scowl deepening. "No. I'm only watching you until you're old enough to move out and do what you please." He cut another piece of meat, somewhat more aggressively than before. "I'm just going to make sure you live until then."

And don't become a shitty person. Though he didn't say that part to her.

"Does everyone had a Dad and Mom?"

His face snapped back up to look at the child. Her blue eyes were wide with curiosity. That has been the most amount of emotion he's seen on her face all week.