Chapter 45: A Lost Connection

I don't own One Piece

Having thought it over, I figured I would reveal something in this chapter, since it has been 44 chapters... Plus, I think I've left a lot of clues throughout this book so far. So enjoy!
........................................

It has been an hour since the island lost connection. Everyone is still scrambling to get it back up, both pirates and marines wanting to see the outcome.

They wanted to see which side won.

I wanted to see if my brothers were okay. If my idiotic Captain would be alright. If my friend would make it.

It was more than just 'winning' for me.

When the connection cut off, it was both bad and yet hopeful. Ace was free again to fight, and Luffy was with him. I knew the strength of both of them, so I felt as if they would be an stoppable force. Sato and Makoto were fighting an Admiral, appearing as if they were keeping him distracted.

It was looking in their favor.

So why is my stomach in knots and my hands trembling?

There's no way any of those boys would lose. Right?

"Katsu." I didn't turn to acknowledge the woman. "Our connection is shit. That storm we had last week really messed it all up. I don't think we'll have it running anytime soon. I'm sure tomorrow we'll have more information."

By now I'm the only one standing in front of the screen. My body stiff as I waited for the image to pop back up. Hoping it matches the safe image in my head.

"Kid, come on." When she placed a hand on my shoulder I jerked away from her touch.

"Stop." I hissed, wincing at the harshness of my voice as my throat thickened. "It's not just Ace."

"I know, your Captain." Arisu nodded.

"And my brothers." I whispered, clearing my throat to try to get rid of the thickness. My heart clenched at the thought of them being hurt. "I just remembered them. How fucked up would it be if I never even got to reunite with them? I have a lot to lose in this fight."

The woman blinked, her shoulders dropping. "Your brothers?"

"Sato and Makoto." I muttered.

Behind me, I felt her look down then she snapped her head back at me. "Lone Star and Silent Bullet?"

"Last time I knew them, it was just Sato and Makoto. My timid brothers that I protected from bullies." Why were my eyes burning? "Everything's different now."

"Shit." Arisu sighed, "Come on, let's go back to my place. I'll see if I can get ahold of any information. My former Captain was there."

Finally, my full attention was on the former marine. She had already started walking away, which made me quickly follow. I didn't know the way to her home, if there was any chance of me making it back there I needed to follow her.

It surprised me how willing she is to help me, dispute me being a pirate. So much to a point, that it nagged me.

Why would she help me?

"Arisu." I stopped walking, making the woman stop and look at me. "Why are you helping me? Surely you don't care if any of them die, since they're all pirates."

She turned her head to look at me blankly, almost making me believe she was looking through me. Then, she turned around to completely to face me.

"Many reasons." She said, "I understand your worry for your brothers. I went through that everyday with Mamoru. I lost contact with my little brother, and I don't think he'll ever speak to me again. You're my last shred of my brother that I can hold on to, even if you're not related to him biologically. So, even if you're a pirate, you're still family. I learned my lesson, I'm not going to make that mistake twice."