Chapter 91: Unwelcome Memories (pt 1)

I don't own One Piece

..................................................................
        Fair Warning: This chapter does get dark, as the rest of Katsu's memories are returning. I've marked it so if you wish to avoid it you may, it does retain to some of Katsu's past. I do try not to go into detail but as to avoid any kind of trigger I have placed a warning for ya'll.
................................................................

I was never one to think that running away was the solution to a problem. Instead I'd rather rush head in and beat the problem to a pulp. I found it cowardly to run.

I must have become a coward, because all I want to do now is run.

Sure, I'm technically not even walking towards my doom, I'm on my Captain's back as he runs towards my doom. However, I want nothing more than for us to turn the other way and rush away.

There was only a piece of my memory that returned, but all I can focus on is the tremendous amount of fear I was overwhelmed with. And pain. Even not if I think about it my arm throbs as if it was just branded.

When we approached the building I could just feel my dread filling up. Even when we encountered some marines, which Luffy knew fairly well, and were mixed up because of Law, I couldn't really focus on them. Instead it was almost as if I could sense a heavy presence.

My haki wasn't typically sensitive enough for me to really be able to pick out different presences. Especially not if they weren't in front of me. Yet, again, here I was pretty sure I could feel that man approaching.

It was so heavy I couldn't focus on anything else happening. Instead my eyes were trained on the building. There was a figure approaching, a furry hood covering his face but I caught sight of a few gray wisps of hair flying around in the snow storm.

I softly tapped Luffy  on the shoulder, trying to gain his attention to the man that was approaching.

"Shulololo!"

Luffy's attention was placed on the new laughter.

"Luffy..." I mumbled, my eyes going down as he unwrapped his arms from around me and placed me on the ground before rushing off towards the other figure. The others placed their attention towards Luffy.

"It really is you."

My body froze and I couldn't breath. A tremor formed in my hand. Slowly, my eyes looked back towards the voice to see the figure now practically in front of me. There was, without a shred of a doubt, the realization that this was an older version of the man I had seen in my memory.

"Test subject 0791." He stated from memory, a sickening grin forming on his face. "The first successful devil fruit subject. You were excellent, are excellent."

I shook my head slowly as he took another step towards me.

"I knew the brand would bring you back, you do belong to me if you remember correctly." He continued, not noticing the wind beginning to pick up. "Though, I suppose I'll have to cleanse you once more, considering you've become a pirate. But that's no problem. I'll do that after I've discover why it worked so well on you. The other kids won't take to the experiments."

His voice was starting to fade and my senses began to dull. There was a prickling in the back of my head. For once I tried to fight it, squeezing my eyes shut and trying to shake my head.

"...test subject 0791..."

"...Shanks is coming for me!"

"...fever is broken..."