Chapter 42: ...to Whitebeard

I don't own One Piece
........................................

3 Years Ago (Katsu's Age 14)
........................................

"Better!" Ace grinned as the wind settled around us once more.

My own lips pulled into a grin as I tried to catch my breath. Beads of sweat fell down my face. Slowly my tired arms went to rest against my hips as my body throbbed with heat.

"Your control is getting much better." Ace said, his own hands resting on his hips. "I almost don't think you need my help."

"Clearly she does." Deuce muttered, reading a book he had bought recently. He had decided to tag along for the day's lesson, though he hadn't done much other than read. Of course, his little comments weren't always nice, but they weren't necessarily mean either.

"Shut up," I frowned at Deuce and rolled my eyes at Ace as I wiped sweat from my forehead. "Nobody else on this island is able to help me."

He didn't say much more. Instead the pirate motioned me to follow him, a sigh I took for our training being done for the day. Though Deuce didn't bother moving as we walked off, I didn't bother to ask if he was joining. From what I understood, you never bother a reading person.

Despite my tired state moments ago, I quickly found a hop in my step as I followed after the Captain. Today Ace had abandoned the yellow shirt, and decided to just go bare chest. I wasn't too fond of the choice, but I kept quiet. It would be hilarious to see if he got a sunburn.

The island was painted gold as the sun set. The light fixtures starting to light up the streets. Visiting pirates either made their way back to their ships, or went into the few remaining open shops. Of course most made their way towards the bar.

After the last two days of following me, Ace decided it was best if I followed him to the bar. He was very careful on how he said it, making sure not to make it seem as if I was lost. I didn't object. It was definitely quicker than wondering around the streets for a couple hours.

I blinked in confusion as Ace came to a stop, a certain stiffness in his body. Looking up, I frowned at the large pirate in front of us.

The woman wasn't very flattering, though I imagine she is strong considering the size of her muscles. She stood a foot taller than Ace, her face was big and round. Freckles dotted her cheeks, though I didn't find them as cute as Ace's. Her blonde hair was short, a cut I often heard Mamoru describe as a bowl cut. A sneer presented her face, showing her large crooked teeth.

I looked down to the weapon in her hand. A large heavy sword pointed towards Ace. Now I knew where her muscles came from, that sword must weigh a ton!

"What are you doin' here?" She growled, nudging Ace with the flat of her sword.

I frowned looking at the sword which was now poking Ace in the chest. He didn't move to attack, nor did he seem fazed.

"Hmm? Oh, I'm just visiting. I had heard of this place, so I wanted to check it out." He squinted his eyes, "Do I know you?"

Apparently she wasn't fond of his response. "Excuse me?! What makes you think you'd be welcome-!" A vein popped out on her cheek as her eyes widened in anger. "Did you just fall asleep?!"

I jumped, looking back at Ace. Sure enough, his head was rolled onto his shoulder as a snot bubble blew from his nose. I wrinkled my nose in distaste. Of course the idiot would fall asleep right now.

"Why you insolent little!" She growled, raising her sword.

My eyes widened as I grabbed Ace's arm and tugged him backwards. As she brought the sword down, I yelped and shot my arm out.