Family

You never really did enjoy being a part of a military family for Atlas. Your family were considered war heroes and thus, you and your family were thrust into the elite of Atlas. Your uncle was the esteemed James Ironwood and your father was his younger brother, Richard Ironwood. As a result, you and your family were invited to different gatherings and events around the kingdom. As it stood, you and your family made your way to the Schnee Charity Ball to raise funds for Beacon's efforts.

While you never a fan of the Schnees, you could never deny the fact that Weiss was a rather beautiful woman. You both were around the same age and both had similar aspirations of becoming a huntsman and huntress respectively. You didn't attend the concert that came with the ball since you all arrived there a little too late. However, as soon as your family arrived at the ball, you could easily see Weiss was standing besides her father and brother. You could feel something wrap around your neck to your other shoulder and you realized it was your father's hand.

Richard: Doing alright son?

(Y/N): Y-Yeah.

Mother: Well that's good because he comes your uncle. Best behavior now.

Ironwood: Richard! Marina! Hey, (Y/N), how are you?

Marina: We're doing quite well, James. And you?

Richard: Yes, how has the academy been since the whole-

Ironwood: Fall? Fine to say the least. Though internal issues and kingdom security-that doesn't matter now.

As your family talked you noticed Weiss had walked off and towards a painting of Beacon. You were at that battle. You had seen the devastation. You tried to understand her pain. So rather than let her wallow alone, a part of your brain insisted that you tried to comfort her. You took a deep breath and walked on over. However, once you got there, you could see she was already talking to someone.

You could overhear their discussion. The guy didn't seem to care which already set you off. You kept in relative silence as the boy kept pissing you and subsequently, Weiss off. However, you never could think that Weiss would slowly side stepped the boy and turn to face you.

Weiss: (Y/N)? (Y/N) Ironwood?

(Y/N): Ms. Schnee?

Boy: Wait. You know this clown.

Weiss: Get. Out.

Boy: What? I have done-

(Y/N): Sir. As a huntsman and a Lieutenant within the Atlesian Military, I am an official member of security force here. As a result, since Ms. Schnee has more authority over myself, I am obliged to comply with her orders.

The boy began to mumble something under his breath and he walked off and away. You sighed and looked at the painting Weiss was previously staring at. She too turned around and faced the same image.

Weiss: It's...good to see you again, (Y/N). I haven't seen you since-

(Y/N): Beacon fell. I know. So...how have things been with you?

Weiss: Not the best. But certainly not the worse. You?

(Y/N): Nothing to complain here. So...yeah.

Weiss glanced back and then returned her gaze to the painting. The two of you stood in awkward silence until you too, felt a presence behind you. You glanced back and saw a few teenaged and easy 20 something boys staring at you and Weiss. Catching on quickly, you moved a bit closer to her.

Weiss: Saw them?

(Y/N): Yeah. Need anything to be done?

Weiss: No. Actually...if you could, perhaps, act like a date?

(Y/N): What? What on earth are you-

Weiss grabbed your arm and pulled you towards herself. You glanced between Weiss and the rest of the crowd at this charity ball. You then wrapped your arm around Weiss to keep the illusion.

Weiss: You can make it more convincing.

(Y/N): And how exactly do I make it more convincing?

Weiss grabbed your hand and pulled it down a bit more. You sighed and complied to Weiss' demands. The two of you then stood in silence, just looking at the Beacon painting.

(Y/N): I won't pretend like I know what you're going through. I was never a fan of Beacon but that...that should have never happened to them or to anyone. I'm sorry I couldn't do more to protect it for you.

Weiss: It was going to fall no matter what that night.

(Y/N): You don't know that.

Weiss: Neither do you.

(Y/N): Weiss I'm...I'm sorry.

Weiss: Are you sorry because your uncle failed, or are you sorry that you couldn't kill more?

(Y/N): I'm sorry for failing you. For failing Vale.

Weiss backed away from you and looked at you directly in the eyes.

Weiss: Since when do you-

(Y/N): It's my job. Not as a military man but as a huntsman. And a duty as a huntsman is a duty to my family. I hope you would know something about that.

She glanced around for a bit before she took your hand and began to walk away.

(Y/N): Weiss...Weiss, where are we-

Weiss: I need to talk to you...privately.

(Y/N): Can't we go to the corner for this?

Weiss: No!

You rolled your eyes and followed her outside. From across the hall, both your parents and your uncle watched as Weiss ran outside of the ballroom.

Ironwood: Well, she certainly seemed more...energetic.

Richard: Well...she is a Schnee.

Both you and Weiss made it outside and onto a balcony. She looked at you and was a mixture of confused and annoyed.

Weiss: Do you have ANY idea of what my family is like?!

(Y/N): My uncle has told me things. I've met with your father and brother before. So, yes, I know.

Weiss: So what do I owe them?!

(Y/N): Nothing. (Weiss' eyes widen and turns back to you.) You don't owe them a thing. But you do owe your friends yourself.

Weiss: Tell me something I don't know.

(Y/N): Well...you're beautiful. Smart. Lovable. Courageous. A good friend. A good future leader. And-

Weiss: Stop! Why are you saying all that? What are you trying to get at exactly?

(Y/N): I...I really like you Weiss. I think you are all those things and more. I just...I don't know. I want to see you happy. And I know this place isn't the place for you. And I don't mean this ballroom. I mean Atlas.

Weiss: (Y/N), you and I may have known one another during the Vytal Tournament but that does NOT make us friends. And that certainly does not mean I like you the same way.

You were crushed. You backed up slightly away from Weiss and sighed to yourself. You rubbed your chin and looked down at the floor as you leaned against the banister. Weiss must've saw you so dejected and gained a concern look. She walked up to you and placed your arms at your side. You and her locked eyes for a bit and Weiss leaned forward and hugged you. You returned the hug and the two of you stayed in place.

Weiss broke away from the hug and looked back at you. She leaned up and placed a small kiss on your cheek.

Weiss: (Y/N), I don't share the same feelings for you. But you are better than most. I may...give it a try. Just not now.

(Y/N): Of course. Thank you.

Weiss: Still, I could use an escort.

You smiled softly and extended an arm to Weiss. She wrapped an arm around it and the two of you walked back inside the hall...one in the same. Better than family...friends.