Because She's a Nerd

You were wondering down the halls of your local high school trying to find some sort of after school activity to do. You had already finished all your homework and knew all future material for the upcoming test in your math class. As you were walking down the hallway, you accidentally bumped into someone, causing them drop nearly everything.

(Y/N): Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to cause you any trouble...Penny?

Penny Polendina was standing before you. She was the daughter of the engineering teacher and honestly, one of the smartest people in the whole school. You also had a bit of a crush on the girl. Sure she was quirky and more socially awkward than anything you have ever seen before. It was still nice to see her and that smile she often wore.

Penny: Oh, hello (Y/N). What are you doing up here? Don't you have practice?

(Y/N): Not today. Rain canceled it, so I basically have nothing to do.

Penny: Oh. Well, the debate team is meeting. Would you like to attend?

(Y/N): Well, it's not my usual forte but I don't see why not.

Penny: Then come on! It is starting in about 2 minutes.

With that, Penny basically dragged you from one side of the school to the other. The actual meeting was relatively large with several people you knew from classes and people in other grades below you and fellow seniors. It was nice to see Penny in her natural element, although you were beyond awkward there. It's not that you weren't adept socially speaking it was more along the lines that you were a sports star and being seen here was...almost unheard of in your school.

That was one of the many downsides to your school, it was very, VERY cliquey. Well a few others were able to break that barrier every few years, it was mainly what one could expect from life here. Yeah, it wasn't the best, but it was what you were dealt with. Still, the meeting was kinda fun. The club itself didn't get out until around 5:00, a bit of a long meeting but you assumed that what it was usually like. Then again, you didn't get home from practice until 6 on a good day so who were you to judge.

Penny: That was quite fun! Don't you agree?

(Y/N): Yeah. It was amazing seeing you all at work.

Penny: Yes. I also like seeing you and your team work together as well.

(Y/N): Well...in all honesty, I really just defend. Not much else.

Penny: It is still part of the team, is it not?

(Y/N): Guess so.

The two of you walked together outside and continued talking. Penny began to express her interest in robotics and how she hoped to create an android that could almost become human. Of course it seemed far fetched but you assumed anything could be possible. However, you talk was cut short after hearing a car horn. You both turned around and saw Penny's father waiting for her.

Penny: Oh, sorry (Y/N). But I have to-

(Y/N): Don't worry about it. See ya.

Penny: (Y/N)? Does this...make us friends?

(Y/N): I...I'd like that. If you don't mind?

Penny: I do not. Well, goodbye new friend!

With that, Penny ran off back to her father and they drove off together. You looked on and had a smile on your face. However, that smile was cut short after a slap to the back of your head. You turned around and groaned a bit at seeing your soccer teammate, Mercury Black.

(Y/N): What is Mercury?

Mercury: Just wanted to know where you were today? Practice was bland today without the only one on the team who could even remotely block my swing kick.