Circus Freak

You had loved going to the circus for years, ever since you were a child. The fun games, the events, the acts, it was all so much fun. However, something that always fascinated you were the freak shows. Something about seeing something so odd and yet so endearing really just made your heart swell. Doesn't mean the rest of the crowd would be so nice to them. Something you hated seeing was how some people would mistreat these guys. They were entertainers, people, and friends with one another. No more.

Regardless of that thought, the UA Circus had fully come into town last week and needless to say, you were excited. You had been working your butt off trying to get funding for a little R&R for a while now. So, once you got the availability for a show time and money for a ticket, you took off without any second thoughts. You got yourself settled into a seat, popcorn, and soda in hand, and was ready to enjoy the show. A short man with white face-paint walked out from a curtain and waved to the crowd. There were some cheers and smiles as he took the stand and bowed before the crowd.

Nezu: Ladies and Gentlemen! Welcome to the UA Traveling Circus! I am Nezu, your ringleader tonight! We have a marvelous show for you all today. I truly hope you all can enjoy watching it as love making it. Without further ado, our leading act, our trapeze team, the Big Three!

The crowd cheered and clapped as three trapeze artists took the stage within their towers and performed. You smiled as you saw the acts unfold. From there, there were some strongmen, cannons, clowns, and comedy. It was a lot of fun for the first hour. Once the second hour began, Nezu walked back up on stage and bowed to the audience.

Nezu: I am so happy everyone is enjoying themselves here tonight! And to kick off our second half of the show, please, Welcome, the UA Mutants!

Your eyes lit up at that notion. A freak show? Something you loved more than anything else. Your eyes were glued to the main floor as a clown car pulled out. From it, people who were just bizarre to look at. A giant man who had the head and body of a seal, similarly but with a short girl with Frog legs and arms. Another strong man with six arms. That one was bizarre. But regardless, you were excited for this act. And then, the final member of the group stepped out and your heart skipped a beat.

She was a pink-skinned girl with horns and some black eyes. Oh sure, one could see it as ugly, but...it...she just looked lovely to you. You smiled as you saw them all take the stage, wave to the crowd with smiles on their faces. You were enthralled, waiting for what was to come of the performance. Most of it was basic clown level comedy but with some cool twists to it.

Most of the animal looking members of the show did stunts pertaining to their animal. Such as jumping around for a trapeze act, seals honking horns, lifting an insane amount of weight. When the pink girl walked up to the stand, she smiled and slammed her hands down onto the ground. A gloopy liquid came from her hands and went around the ring of the circus.

She smirked and jumped onto the ring and began to skate around it. You smiled at seeing the talent. Someone just made their own figure skating guide before your very eyes. Some of the crowd cheered for the girl. Again, some. Others, from what you could see, snickered and mocked the girl and the other "mutants".

As the girl finished her skiing trip, she stopped back in front with the rest of the members of the troop and bowed. It was then when a tomato was thrown and hit her directly in the face. Most of the crowd gasped as the other members of the troop tried to help her until four more tomatoes were thrown and hit the rest as well.

Guy in Back: Get out of here you freaks!

Younger Man: Bring out the girls! I want to see real women!

A few chuckles were heard and people across the entire tent started to join in.

Woman: I heard there was a freak show! Why do you think I showed up?!

More food was thrown. You glared a little as Nezu ran out and quickly directed security. He walked with his talent backstage. You sprung up and shuffled out of your seat and ran out of the big top. You glanced around, trying to find the talent's tents and cars. You eventually located a small train yard about a mile away from the main tent.

As you approached, you saw the other Mutants hanging around one care. The seal man looked up and glared at you as you walked over. You raised a hand to say hello as you walked up.

Seal Man: What the hell do you want?

You raised your hands slightly and began to talk using sign language.

"Is she ok?"

You looked up at them and smiled slightly. The frog girl stood up and walked over to you and stood next to the seal man.

Frog Girl: You can't talk?

You shook your head no, still keeping the smile. The others looked at one another before the seal guy turned back to you.

Seal Man: She's fine kid. Thanks for the concern.

As they turned to walk away from you, you ran up and grabbed the seal man's arm to get his attention.

"Can I see her?"

Seal Man: Why?

"To tell her I liked the performance. You guys were awesome!"

The seal and frog looked at one another. The Frog girl nodded and the seal man sighed a little.

Seal Man: Come on. I'll show you to her.

You smiled and followed him into their car. As you guys walked around the corner, he stepped up into the car and gestured for you to follow. Once you got up, he pointed at a small desk in the corner of the room. You nodded and walked over to her as he stepped out. You knocked on a wooden crate to get her attention, but she didn't turn around.

Pink Girl: Not now Silkie. I'm not feeling it.

You cocked an eyebrow and walked over to her and place a hand on her shoulder. That got her attention as she quickly turned around to look at you. She glanced up as she saw you standing behind her.

Pink Girl: Oh sorry! I didn't know...I....hello.

"Hello. I saw your show. I thought you guys were amazing!"

Pink Girl: Oh...thanks. At least someone enjoyed it.

"Circus shows have always made me smile. I was always told I was a freak."

Pink Girl: Why is that? You look normal. Beats me with the pink skin.

"I think you look cute."

The girl's eyes widen as she looked over at you and blushed. You blushed a little and rubbed the back of your neck. You also had a slight blush on your face. But you still smiled at her. You then noticed the girl start speaking in sign as well.

Pink Girl: Would this be better?

You shook your head no.

"I can hear perfectly fine. Just can't speak. You do what is convent to you."

Pink Girl: Gotcha. Um...why do you like the circus freaks the most?

You smiled and turned around. You hit yourself on the back of the head and turned back around. The girl gasped a little as she saw that you only had one true eye.

"Never had the other one. Only got it a few months ago. I was always the freak growing up. Well...less than you guys."

She looked up at you and you glanced away, not wanting to offend her. She got up, hugged you, and smiled. She broke the hug and kept the smile.

Ashido: My name is Mina Ashido. Thank you.

You smiled at her and nodded. You put your fake eye back into your head and just looked back at her. The two of you just looked at one another, not knowing what to do next. She cleared her throat a little to gain your attention. She offered up a smile before speaking slightly.

Ashdio: So...We have coffee in the talent car a few rails up. Would you like some?

You nodded at her with a smile. She smiled back and took your hand with hers.

Ashido: Come on then. I'll show you.

She takes your hand and begins to lead you down the cars. A smile present on your face. She was going on about some of the other mutants and you couldn't help but smile along with her. Maybe being a freak show wasn't such a bad thing after all.