Darkest Day

The eclipse was always something special here in Vacuo. It was an event that would truly only come around every few decades and if you missed it once, you wouldn't see it again until you were old. Which is what made the day extremely special for you and your girlfriend, Gwen Darcy. You both were students at Vacuo's very own, Shade Academy and were more than excited to see this eclipse for the first time in your lives.

You two had loaded up your car with picnic supplies, a blanket, sunglasses and other items that would make this viewing party perfect for the both of you. While you two were on the road, you were basically locked into the middle of a massive traffic jam. All around you both were people coming and going to a viewing site about two hours north of the capital city of the kingdom. You were driving while Gwen was beside you, reading one of her books.

(Y/N): So...how's the book?

Gwen: Nothing overly special. It's good though.

(Y/N): Not as good as the last one, uh?

Gwen: That is accurate. Although, anything could happen. I think it could get better than the last one.

(Y/N): Well, that's good.

The awkward silence resumed as you both continued to slowly move forward down the road. You couldn't notice it, but Gwen glanced behind her to double check on the supplies in the back. However, as she looked back, her eyes widen and saw what you had slipped in with the other bits of supplies.

(Y/N): What's up?

Gwen: You didn't?

(Y/N): What?

Gwen: (Y/N), a self-help book?

She grabbed the book and brought it up to her lap.

Gwen: "How to Find True Happiness: Getting Over Depression". Russel Flatts? (Y/N), please tell me this is a joke.

(Y/N): What's wrong with it?

Gwen: How many times do I need to say this. (Y/N), you're perfect for me. Stop thinking you're not. You are.

(Y/N): I never said I wasn't. I just have it there. That's all.

Gwen: You promise you are alright?

(Y/N): Yeah. I'm fine. Trust me.

Gwen: (Sighs) Ok. I'm trusting you.

You gave her a smile and you both continued onward. The drive itself wasn't all too pleasant but it was still full of small talk and some flirty action between the two of you. After all that, you both finally reached the viewing site later that day with about two hours to spare for the eclipse. You had gotten the picnic blanket out and settled and got everything ready for the event. You and Gwen began to eat some lunch and talked about a few things.

You both had a laugh a bit but soon, the after lunch sleepy feeling kicked in for Gwen. She eventually crashed down along your side and began to use your legs as pillows. You could help but smile at the sight and kept waiting. The eclipse wouldn't happen for another hour, but when it did, you wanted to make sure she could see it.

However, you in the meantime had your own issues to face. You grabbed the self-help book and began to read it. It wasn't anything you haven't already heard. Honestly, you didn't even know why you still read that thing, it just felt right to do. As you were reading, the dread descended down upon you yet again. Negative thoughts drew you near but you were able to shift those out of your mind. Finally, the eclipse came and you shook Gwen awake.

(Y/N): Hey. Up. Gwen?

Gwen yawned and sat up, smashed her lips and looked over to you. She gave you a smile and hugged you.

(Y/N): Whoa! Ok? What did I do to deserve this?

Gwen: Just being you. You are fine, right?

(Y/N): Totally, Babe. I'm alright.

Gwen: Just making sure.

The two of you but on your glasses and watched the sun slowly being to be covered by the moon. You both had smiles on your faces as you were about to witness the moment. Finally, the sun was covered and the moon casts it shadow along the land. All around us, nocturnal creatures arose and began to cause commotions. You and Gwen smiled at one another and she leaned in and pecked your lips. After a small kiss, you both took off your glasses and saw the darkened world.

You both saw children running around and others in complete awe of the moment. After a few more seconds of peace, a violent scream was heard. You and Gwen got up and ran over to the vile sound and saw a family had been killed by Grimm. They slowly began to grow closer to you and other patrons. As you took out your wrist blades and Gwen her knives, other citizens fired off shotgun rounds and began to fight back the Grimm.

However, small numbers were history as an entire pack of Beowolves emerged and got ready for the kill. You and Gwen glanced at one another and began to attack. You both slashed and stabbed Grimm and kept them at bay from civilians. However, the overwhelming numbers, a few civilians were attacked but you and Gwen were able to fight them off. The people around the place began to flee in a mass panic which caused even more devastation.

A few people made it out and let others follow them out. The more and more you killed Grimm, the more it seemed that more Grimm would emerge.

Gwen: (Y/N), we got to get moving! There's too many!

(Y/N): I know! But...we need to clear a path!

Suddenly, a large beowolf emerged and lunged towards you. It was too fast to notice and tackled you to the ground and began to claw at you. You began to fight back for a bit but couldn't hold out for long as your arm was bitten and teared up. You screamed in agony until Gwen kicked it off and threw a knife and killed it.

Gwen: (Y/N)! Are you ok?!

(Y/N): I...I think so. (Screams) DAMNIT! That hurts!

Gwen: Here. Let's go! Let's go!

Gwen picked you up and began to guide you out back to your car. However, more Grimm kept coming up towards you both. Gwen threw knives and you fired off some bullets to kill the Grimm. As soon as you both got to your car, a Grimm pounced forward and tackled Gwen into the car and slashed at her back. You stabbed the Grimm before it could also attack you, but its weight still forced you to the ground.

You and Gwen sat back against your car as the pain seeped in.

(Y/N): Gwen...baby, you ok?

Gwen: (Y/N)...I don't-I don't-

(Y/N): It's ok. It's ok.

You reached over and pulled Gwen into your arms. You both knew nothing was going to save you. So, you just curled up into one another's arms and waited for the wounds to take you, just sitting there, holding onto one another forever.