Chapter fourty-two: Dreams and nightmares

Glimpses of blue flashed beneath Alex's eyelids as he 'slept'. He felt as if he was levitating, like his whole body was weightless, like how you feel when you were dreaming, nothing but illusions in your mind. Alex only began to stir after what felt like hours, to find himself in a small but large room.
Everything loomed over him, shadows that were cast from unknown sources crept along the walls, and although it was to dark to see, he could make out the metallic texture of his surroundings. He sat up slowly, only realising where he was when he stood up on his two unsteady feet.

"What?" He said, touching his oversized resting place with his hands, his fingertips running over the leather that held it together. He scanned along the frame until he found the handle, the gold it was made from dimly lighting up the room. Alex grabbed it with both hands and hauled the lid down, he saw on the top of it, stickers and luggage labels stuck onto the brown material. Countries and Cities all around the globe placed on there.

"Where am I?" Alex said to himself rhetorically. Gliding his hand over the imprints. He should of know from the start. The familiar gloomy hallways that only lead to more despair, horror and eventually death should of been his first sign, as he made his way over to the ventilation system at the end of the room. The second. It was one of the only places that would be safe, but Alex would know in time that it also held nightmares.
Or more commonly known as long, unnatural arms and greyish hands that would attempt to capture him...

He crawled through the combined space, hoping that the exit would lead him home, or somewhere else familiar. He squinted his eyes, why was it so dark? He searched the floor in hope to find something that he could use to guide him out of this. Then it was just his luck to find a lighter,

"What are the chances?" Alex questioned to himself, picking it up and activating the fuse, there encased in metal was a small flame, quivering, like Alex, in the freezing darkness.
"Wait a minute..." Alex said, recognising a symbol of an eye that had been drawn on the side, "This is..." he trailed off, his crawling becoming faster as he raced to the other side of the vent.
Within seconds he could see the exit of the small chamber and crawled faster, he wanted to get out, to see where he really was. If it was his dream or a nightmare. He extinguished the lighter and with great difficulty, managed to escape the confined space, revealing a much bigger and open room. His eyes widened in fear after finally recognising his surrounds, a bridge before him, the platform raised so he can get a better view of the horror that he was within.

"Six..." was all that Alex could say through the shock, "Where are you?" His voice echoed into the endless abyss of the Maw, he might of been safer now, but he knew that there were many more Little Nightmares to come.