Chapter fourty-nine: She sees all

There was no need to say anything, after all, actions speak louder than words.
They ran half crawled up the stairs, expecting Death to follow. His expectations were succeeded when he heard the echoing footsteps linger behind. But why?

Death didn't have mercy for nobody, not even itself. It had to push past it's limit to run, it had to pull back it's reason for existance to breath and it had to focus on its mission to hear.
To hear the cries of children, all begging for mercy, for another day, for another moment.
Something Death couldn't give.
So they ran.
And he awoke.
The awakening was nothing more than a reminder to run. To push, to pull, to focus. He shivered, sensing the presence of the thing they were running from. Or to?

They had lured him this far, what was stopping them from going further?

His own expectations.

The Hunger stabbed at his empty stomach and his legs burned with pain of pushing.
Too far?
Never

Even if he outran Death, eventually, he would end up in his grasp, begging like the other children she had watched cry. But not her.
She would of succeeded.
And thanks to her, this is where he was at now.
Or was he?

He awoke again, another reminder to escape as he stepped back, hugging the wall with his spine as he did so, he wasn't sure if the cold sinking was the lifeless wall touching his skin or the dread of the presence in front of him.
Merciless Death.

It outstretched it's hollow finger's, reaching for him, he looked up to find it's disoriented face staring at him... It's twisted smile at least. His eyes blindfolded.

Their fingers enclosed on the boy.
And he awoke once more.

Iron bar's blocked his vision of his surroundings, followed by shadows.
And not the good ones...

The rythm of his breathing seemed to awaken his senses.
But also the hunger.

He writhed in pain as it took over, devouring his insides, something that wouldn't stop until he actually got some nutrients. Unlikely in his position.

"Hey!" He called for no particular reason, rather he didn't want to die of starvation. "Hey!" He called again, tripping on something as he did so, "what the-"
He was cut off by a growl in the pit of his stomach. He looked down, by his feet was sanctuary.
Food.

Without a second thought he picked up the slice of what looked like meat and without checking if it was safe to eat, he bit into the food, enjoying every flavour that hit his taste buds. He closed his eyes then more images appeared.

He was once again met with darkness, the redish brown walls covered in objects just as intimidateing stared at him, there was no words spoken, only actions.

A bright light.
A small mirror.
And a yellow raincoat.

There was a flash before Alex saw more. A white porcelain mask, blank of expression. Eyes filled with vengeance like a ghost with unfinished business.
And a pair of draping brown cloth, revealing a pair of clawed hands, their nails as sharp as teeth, something that this didn't have.

Alex felt gravity give way as he free falled for a second, before hitting the bars he was trapped in.
But not anymore.

Freedom was only steps away and he didn't hesitate to retrieve it.

"Nome" he said, "Six" there was a pause. "I'm coming."