Chapter fourty-four: The role of friendship

"Hey!" Alex called again, still nothing.

"Nome..." he started, "I...Don't want to hurt you. I just...Want to go home" he said, a little sadly.
He heard the faint scuffling again and the top of what seemed like a pointy hat.

"Wait" Alex called as it once again ran off. "Please come back!" He yelled as the Nome climbed up one of the desks, however before it could crawl into the vent, Alex asked,

"Are you the Runaway Kid?"
The Nome stopped in its tracks, turning towards the boy. "Do you know how to get out of here?" He asked.

The Nome turned towards the vent once more and began to crawl inside it. Alex guessed that it wanted him to follow it, so he did. However, he didn't have to travel far before he caught up with it, cowering among the darkness.

"Hey..." he said gently, reaching out to it and giving it a hug while also pulling out his lighter. Somehow it reminded him of his friends.

Cheyenne was almost like the leader of the group, although it was never made permanent as Luke, when he wasn't running into doors and making really bad decisions, would of been second in command as they call it, however, Dylan seemed to take that place as Cheyenne and him had known each other for a long time, followed by Alex.

"We don't need a leader" he remembered Cheyenne saying, "We all have our part to play in this group" she had said, as she looked at each of them, "I mean, Luke, your the funny one, the one who makes dumb decisions and we always have to stop you, but apart from that you always bring the group together with smiles and laughter"
She had turned to Dylan after,
"And same with you Dylan, whenever Luke's not around you always put a smile on my face, the same with Alex" she said, before turning to him.

"And finally Alex, your the..." she had stopped for a moment to think of his role, "...The one with all the information and theories, your the reason why our group is continuously going to Writers Club, because every week, no- everyday, we have to keep up with the amazing ideas and conclusions that you manage to make. So if anything Alex, you should be the leader of this group, not me"

He remembered the rest of them nodding in agreement but it never was agreed to, so to this day, they are their own roles in their group, without a leader.
Alex smiled at the thought of his friends, then it faded as he remembered what had happened in the sports hall, he wondered where they were now.

"Nome, do you know a way out of here?" He asked, the creature didn't run, instead it took his hand within the darkness as they crawled towards, hopefully the end of this nightmare...

The echoing of their hand steps and footsteps was the only thing that filled the silence as they crawled forward, Alex had been suffering trying to not ask too many questions to the Nome as he didn't want to not only bring up bad memories for the creature, but overwhelm him with his ongoing assumptions. So instead he had tried to lighten the mood with explanations of his friends and the real world.

"Luke, well, let's just say he doesn't  like doors, and he's very loud and opinionated about it, but apart from that he is funny.
And then there is Dylan, he's also funny but he doesn't hate doors, instead he thinks that they lead to the gates of Hell, to be honest I have to agree with him there as this... well, you understand right?"
The Nome nodded slightly before turning back and continued to crawl,

"And then there's Cheyenne. She's independent and knows what she's talking about half of the time, if anything she was the one who brought us all together, she knows everything about us, and always makes sure we're ok with anything that happens within our friendship, she understands that we all have opinions and her kindness and loudness gets our opinions known. But not only is she funny in someways, but her intelligence of video games is what bonds us all, Cheyenne is like the knot and we are the rope."

Alex knew that the Nome probably didn't want to know about his friends that much but talking help his nerves, and screaming, but he wouldn't do that as he knew it would frighten off the Nome and attract any unwanted attention.

"Are we almost there?" He asked the Nome, it pointed its small finger towards a light a few feet ahead of them, "There?" Alex also pointed, the Nome nodded and the pair of them began to crawl faster. Before long they had reached the end of the tunnel, first, the Nome got out, looked around then, swiftly made a hand gesture that implied that Alex could come out, he did so and felt wood below him as it creaked under the boy as he placed his foot on it,

"Ok where to-" but Alex never got to finish his sentence as he was engulfed by the floorboards, yelled as he descended down into the depths of the Maw. The last thing he could make out was the Nome's head as it slowly was dragged away by the Janitor's long arms.

"No!" He yelled, but it was too late...