Yellow Raincoat - CHAPTER 3

a/n: How I imagine Marcelo above. Once again, I did not make this art so please, if you know who did, tag them.
------------------------------

The rain poured down against the streets of the city once again the next week as Remi walked down the sidewalk. He jumped over puddles and rushed to get to the other side of the street before dashing under each of the buildings' awnings. Paxton was awake and alert as he wagged his tail. He loved going on fun adventures like this with Remi. He was Remi's partner in crime.

As Remi finally made it to his designated building, the bell on the door rung as he opened it and stepped in. He immediately inhaled the smell of coffee beans as it swirled through the café. This was his home—aside from the library of course. He rubbed the bottom of his rain boots against the mat on the floor by the door before reaching up and pulling the hood of his rain coat down. His curls bounced up and he shook his head lightly to make them flow back out.

He had on a long sleeve white and navy blue striped t-shirt, a yellow raincoat, blue jeggings, and yellow rain boots that matched his coat. Sliding out of his wet coat, he hung it up on the café's coat hanger and turned around, walking up to the counter. He saw Blaire behind the register engaged in a conversation with a guy, so he waited patiently. The guy looked like her. Must be another sibling.

"Oh! Hi!" Blaire greeted, acknowledging Remi.

Remi smiled softly.

"Uh... this is my brother, Marcelo. I don't know if you've ever met him before. He doesn't work here."

Remi looked back up at the guy to see him already looking at him. He was very good looking. He had red hair just like everyone else in the Reid family. Light red stubble ran across his chin. Remi gazed at the light sprinkle of freckles that were drizzled across his face. They suited him. He had soft green eyes that, even as they were soft, gave an intimidating feeling to anyone that looked into them which is why Remi immediately averted his eyes, a delicate blush spreading across his cheeks.

"No, we've never met before," Marcelo said as he looked at Remi, analyzing him. He'd never seen someone with vitiligo in person. He didn't mean to be rude by staring, but Remi's vitiligo made him so unique that it was hard not to. He held his hand out towards Remi with a, "Hi, I'm Marcelo."

Marcelo's voice rang through Remi's ears like an echo. Something about it gave him chills. It sounded so... welcoming. It was deep but soft with the perfect amount of raspiness to it. Remi glanced at Marcelo's hand. He contemplated for a moment before he stuck his own hand out, and they then shook hands. Marcelo's hand was rough and firm. Remi's contrasted as it was soft and gentle.

After a proper handshake, Remi pulled his hand back and settled it on top of Paxton's back where it originally was. Looking at Blaire, Remi blinked and forced himself out of his thoughts. Blaire asked if he wanted the usual and he shook his head, yes.

"Alright, I'll bring it out to you."

Remi nodded once more. He then gathered his courage and gave Marcelo one more glance before he walked over to the seating area and sat down in his usual seat. He sighed. He was thinking about taking Paxton to the dog park like he always does, but it's been so rainy lately. He wondered why.

Back at the front counter, Marcelo was still looking at Remi, trying to figure out what it was about the little guy. Something about Remi made something inside of Marcelo... excited. It was as if Remi was a blast of fresh air. Looking at Blaire who was ringing Remi's order up, he poked her arm to get her attention. "Who's he?"

"That's Remi. He's a usual. He's a cutie, isn't he." Blaire clicked the ᴏʀᴅᴇʀ button on the cash register screen and waited for Remi's receipt to print out. "Quit staring at him before you give him a heart attack. He's shy."

"His name is Remi?"

"Yep."

Marcelo gazed at the male a while longer. He wanted to know more about him, but he didn't want to seem like a creep, so he quit looking at him and tried to put his focus back on his and Blaire's previous conversation they were on before Remi showed up. He looked back at Blaire again and made a sad puppy face. Blaire rolled her eyes but smiled eventually. "Fine, you can have a part-time job here. But don't quit your job at the other place. You know how much the check gets split here."

"I would never quit that job. I own the place, remember?"

Blaire rolled her eyes again. Marcelo has always been the successful one in the family. It's clear that he is even by just looking at his name. Marcelo Reid. Anyway, right after college, he took off to build his own business. He's a software engineer who owns his own software develop center. No one knew what exactly he did, but that honestly didn't matter when he began bringing loads of money home.

But lately, he's been wanting to spend time with his family which is why he put someone else in his place so that he could come work at the café with everyone.

"I don't even want the money. Keep it. You guys are my family."

"Okay, great! You can start tomorrow."

Marcelo smiled. He watched Blaire take Remi's ticket to the back, and he followed. The kitchen was busy. A bunch of redheads scurried around, carrying armfuls of ingredients. Flour was clouded in the air and chatter was heavy as people were directed in all different directions.

"Marcelo, get this on and start helping," a short woman by the name of Annalise said. She was the shortest one in the family with long red curls. She just so happened to be the mother of the crew. Marcelo kissed her cheek before grabbing the apron from her and throwing it around himself. Looks like he's starting today.

After tying his apron, Marcelo went over to where the crew was crowded to see what he could do.

"Marcelo! Mornin'! Go wrap this biscuit up, and then go fill one of those plastic cups up with whipped cream, and get a water bottle from the fridge," one of the sisters said.

Grabbing the biscuit with gloved hands, Marcelo carried it over to the wrapping station and wrapped it up in the Yo Jo Café's custom wrapping paper before placing it in a white paper bag. He then grabbed a plastic cup from the stack by the drink station. Picking up the whipped cream can, he filled it up to the line and grabbed a water bottle, putting both items in the bag next.

He then went back over to the sister that told him to prepare said items and held them out to her.

"Oh! Here, go take all of it to the customer." she said as held out a small cup of iced coffee in Marcelo's direction. Marcelo grabbed it and looked at the ticket that was attached to the cup. Declan - Table 2

Marcelo backed out of the kitchen after saying hello to other siblings that he'd passed by before looking for the table that was labeled 2. Finding it, he rushed over to it and began placing the order down on the table, reading out the receipt on the cup.

"One sausage, cheddar, and egg sandwich, one iced white chocolate mocha, one small cup of whipped cream, and one water bottle for... Declan."

As Marcelo lowered the food, he realized who Declan was. Remi Declan. He sat the bag and coffee down on the table, shooting Remi a polite smile. Remi fidgeted and let out a soft, thank you, before he grabbed the bag and cup in his hands. Marcelo stepped out of the way and watched as Remi held Paxton underneath his arm and walked out of the café without a peep, the bell on the door being the only thing that announced his leave.

Marcelo's eyes followed Remi all the way down the sidewalk where he crossed the street and disappeared into the distance.

"Hey, are you alright?" Blaire asked and placed his hand on Marcelo's shoulder, waking him from his trance.

"Y-Yeah." Marcelo nodded and turned around to head back to the kitchen. Before he did, he noticed a bright yellow jacket on the coat rack, and he realized that Remi had forgotten his coat. It'd stopped raining, and Remi'd been in such a rush to leave that he forgotten it. Marcelo went up to it and grabbed it, throwing it over his shoulder. He'd take it home and bring it the next day for Remi to get it.