Aggravator - CHAPTER 16

a/n: How I imagine Devyn is above. As I've said with all of the other art, I do not own it. If you know who does, please, please tag them.
----------------------

"OH, boss! There you are. I've been looking all over for you."

Marcelo turned around and saw one of his employees speed walking up to him just as he was about to walk to the break room. The guy was flustered, evidence that he'd been running around. Marcelo smiled slightly and waited for the guy to catch his breath. Once he did, he began speaking.

"I wanted to catch you up with everything that I've developed on the application so far, but it's been so hard tracking you down these days."

Marcelo's smile widened even more, knowing that he'd been working at the café and hanging out with Remi for the past few months. He'd only come back to the center this week after he came back to his senses and realized that he had a business to run. His employees weren't too suspicious. Some just thought that he'd taken a vacation. And plus, they couldn't question him even if they wanted to. He's the boss.

"My apologies. I've been out for a while."

"Yes, sir. I know. No offense, but you weren't as enthusiastic as you are now as you were a few months ago."

"No offense taken. I have a great reason behind your theory that will remain hidden," the worker nodded. "Now, as far as your new application, you know the drill. Write up a meeting form, place it in the mail slot on my office door, and I will call you and your team for a meeting after my break."

"Yes, sir. Thank you."

Marcelo nodded politely and turned back around, going down the path to the lounge room that he was taking before he'd gotten stopped. Once he'd arrived, he went in and headed straight for the refrigerator. Immediately after opening it, he saw the container of chicken Alfredo that he'd made with Remi for dinner the night before. His family's recipe of chicken Alfredo.

Grabbing the container and a water bottle, Marcelo then took the lid off of the container and placed it into the microwave that was on the counter, letting the soft hum of the microwave fill the room along with the delightful smell of the pasta.

Just as the microwave beeped in success, the door of the lounge room opened.

"Well, well. Look who it is. Marcelo Reid."

Marcelo looked back to see Devyn. Devyn Marsh.

Marcelo mentally groaned and turned back around with a frown on his face. Devyn smirked and shut the door behind her before walking up to Marcelo.

"So, where've you been. I haven't seen you in a while."

"I don't believe that my comings and goings are any of your business."

"How come? I am your business. At least I used to be."

"Ms. Marsh, I do not wish to speak with you about thi—"

"Ah, so we're back to this now? Calling each other Mr. and Ms."

Marcelo ignored Devyn and opened the microwave, grabbing his food and placing it on the counter, stirring it up. He heard Devyn's heels clacking obnoxiously on the tiled floor of the lounge room with every step that she took.

"Come on, babe. I thought that we were better than this."

"Babe?" Marcelo chuckled. "You're delusional."

"No... I'm not. You just need a reminder of everything about me. You've been gone for so long that you've forgotten. I'm more than happy to give you said reminder," Devyn purred, placing her hand on Marcelo's firm back. Marcelo ducked out of her reach and moved back causing Devyn to frown.

"I'm perfectly fine without your reminders."

Marcelo held his food in one hand and his water bottle underneath his arm as he headed towards the door of the lounge room, wanting to leave as soon as possible. Devyn was nothing but a burden. An aggravation. A nagging pest. She knew that she was bothering Marcelo, and she loved it. She loved that she could press Marcelo's buttons and he couldn't do anything about that.

A man can't be violent towards a women.

"Just one quick reminder. We can make up for lost time," Devyn added. Then she placed her hand on Marcelo once again. This time, on his shoulder. Marcelo quickly turned around and swatted Devyn's hand off of him with a harsh sneer on his face. He walked closer to Devyn and pointed a finger in her face.

"Keep your hands off of me or I will not hesitate to dismiss you from this program."

"No, don't. Just... give me another chance. I won't disappoint you again."

"I don't care what you have to say. You know very well what happened. I should've fired you that damn day, but I was merciful enough to keep you dragging along. What happened between us is over. Don't lay another goddamn hand on me, Devyn Marsh. Get back to work."

With that, Marcelo stormed out of the lounge room, leaving Devyn standing there. He knew that what he said wouldn't stop Devyn. Devyn was like a parasite. Once she got attached to you, it took a miracle to shoo her away.

Oh, how Marcelo wanted to fire her. She might've been an annoying, but she was the smartest employee that Marcelo could ever have. She was a fast thinker, her creativity was amazing, and she was productive. There was no one like Devyn, but Marcelo wished that all of those positive traits could come without the negative ones.

And maybe that could've been the case if what happened didn't happen.

Marcelo took deep breaths and tried not to let her infect his mood with her negativity. He thought of Remi. Remi's smile, Remi's laughter, Remi's amazing aura. That's what calmed him down, kept him from lashing out on anyone, kept him sane.

Marcelo ate his lunch peacefully. He forced himself to fake a smile when all he wanted to do was go to Remi. He had to be calm though. He had a meeting with his workers who needed his undivided attention.

He just prayed that the day would pass by fast so that he could leave. He didn't want to be in the building anymore than he had to when he felt aggravated like this. When Devyn was the aggravator.