Voicemail - CHAPTER 45

From then on, the weeks were passing by fairly quickly. Each day was the same: Remi dwelling on the current conflict of his life that was seemingly ubiquitous. But Jaxon tried his best to distract him. Surprisingly, he was doing an amazing job.

Remi was currently 39, almost 40 weeks pregnant. Not only did it look like he was about to pop, but it felt like it too. None of his shirts fit anymore so they would no longer cover his whole belly. Mrs. Callum insisted for him to go on maternity leave, but he wanted to keep working. Working as he spent time with Jaxon was the only way that he'd keep himself distracted which, as mentioned, was his goal. Well, at least one of his goals.

Remi's other goal was for Elio to get the actual hell out of him.

Remi definitely sleeps a lot more now. Mrs. Callum has even had to wake him up and tell him to come and sleep in her office since he'd snore so loudly in his privacy corner in the back.

"Where are you about to go?" Jaxon asked him as they were putting their coats on. The cold December air was violent and unforgiving.

"I..." Remi dragged as he did as best as he could to zip his coat up and put his beanie, scarf, and gloves on. "...am about to go e-eat, sleep, and hopefully not go into labor. I want Eli to come out, but I'm not m-mentally prepared just yet."

"Well," Jaxon looked down at the part of Remi's belly that was showing since his coat and shirt didn't fit all the way over it. "I think little baby burrito is way ready."

"Sadly. But at the same time, thank every d-deity that there is."

Jaxon chuckled and helped Remi pull his beanie down. Remi's curls hung out from under it adorably. "Are you sure that you're gonna be alright driving?"

"Yep. We'll be okay. It's only d-down the street anyway."

"Touché. Just be careful, alright. And turn your heat on. It's freezing."

"Okay, m-mom." Remi giggled. Jaxon scoffed and nudged him out of the door. Remi said his goodbyes before walking slowly to his car. He got inside of it just as slowly. "Geez, Eli belly."

The whole ride, Remi had Braxton Hicks. They weren't terrible though, so he managed just fine.

As Remi made his way inside of his apartment, Paxton yipped and ran up to him, sniffing him. Remi giggled and bent his knees, lowering himself down to Paxton's level. Paxton then began licking him and sniffing at his belly. "Hi, buddy. Eli and I m-missed you."

Pax continued to yip and lap at Remi's cheeks. Eventually, he stopped and let Remi stand back up. Remi did so and waddled around, turning lamps on to brighten up the apartment. Then, he went to his room and turned the main light on. The first thing that he did next was use the restroom. It felt like Elio was compressing his bladder until it was 100% flat.

Once he finished, he grabbed onto the rail that was near the toilet and pulled himself up. He flushed and washed his hands before going to his bedroom and finding a pair of pajamas. Then, he went back to the bathroom and started up the shower.

As usual, the warm water soothed Remi's aches. Especially the ones that'd worsened in his back and legs. Oh, how he would love a massage right about now. He lathered himself in soap after washing his hair and quickly cleaned himself before doing it again once more. Squeaky clean.

Carefully climbing out, Remi grabbed his hair towel and wrapped his hair up. He also grabbed his body towel and dried off. He put lotion on his body and stretch mark cream on his belly, and he got dressed into a pair of comfortable, fluffy pajamas that would keep him extra warm.

Remembering that he still had leftovers from dinner last night, Remi headed to the kitchen after he finished getting ready and went straight to the refrigerator. He grabbed the microwaveable container of chicken alfredo that he'd made in the oven the day before and got a paper bowl. He transferred the rest of the pasta into the paper bowl and stuck it into the microwave to heat it up. Then, he threw the plastic container away and waited patiently for his food to heat up.