Don't Get Uncomfortable - CHAPTER 40

a/n: Alexa, play "Let it Happen" by Tame Impala.
---------------------------

"Remi, is that you, dear?" Mrs. Callum called out from her office. Remi walked through the back hall of the library with Paxton in his arms and walked to Mrs. Callum's office, nodding.

"Hi."

Mrs. Callum saw his expression that he always seems to be wearing nowadays. She walked up to him up wrapped her arms around him. Remi sighed and leaned into the comfort of her arms.

"How've you been?"

"I've been t-trying."

"Hmm," Mrs. Callum said as she separated from Remi. "Let me rephrase that. How've you been treating yourself?"

Remi ran his hand through his curls before putting it on his eye. "Well, I still h-have puffy eyes, so I'm sure that speaks for itself."

"If that's what you need to do to cope then that's what you need to do. Don't keep it all inside."

"I know. I just d-don't want to stress myself out because... the baby. I don't wanna lose him, Ma."

"Him? You're having a boy?"

"Yeah, he's a boy."

"That's amazing, dear." Mrs. Callum said before getting back serious. "But keeping everything in will just make you even more stressed. I know that you don't want to lose him, but you still need to take care of yourself. When you do that, then you'll be able to take care of him too."

Remi took a deep, shaky breath and nodded. The two walked out of Mrs. Callum's office to go to the back room to get the boxes that Remi had to unpack today.

"Have you been getting everything that you need for him?"

"Yeah, I bought a c-crib and a bassinet and other things last week. I'm d-doing good on money. I'm actually doing... really good to be by m-myself. It's just that... I miss him a-a lot. Like a lot, a lot."

"Marcelo?"

"Yeah," Remi said with a sad smile. "I didn't think that he would l-leave me like my parents did. He was the one that I trusted the m-most, the one that I loved the most. I thought that if he didn't stay f-for me that he would at least stay for the baby, but I guess that isn't the c-case. It just hurts, y-you know?"

"I know. It's gonna hurt for a while. I'm gonna be honest, it might not ever stop hurting since you two were so close, but you can't worry about him right now. You have a baby now, so you have to focus on the baby. Take life one day at a time, and it will get better, but you have to focus on what's most important right now."

"Yes, ma'am."

Mrs. Callum hummed and opened the back door to the back room. She put a door holder down and let Remi go in first. Remi went over to the boxes and pointed to them. "Are these i-it?"

"Uh... yes. Those are thriller and horror books but don't try to pick them up. Hold on.... Hey, Jax, can you come here for a second?"

Fast footsteps were heard as they hit against the floor of the library. As quick as the steps were heard, a face was seen as it peaked around the corner. It was a guy who had to be at least 20. He was brunette with fair skin that looked like Mrs. Callum's. He had warm greenish-brownish eyes, and he was pretty tall. He was handsome.

"Ma'am?"

"Can you help us get these boxes to the bac—Oh! Remi, this is my grandson, Jaxon. He might start working here part-time since he's in school."

"Hey, it's nice to meet you...?"

"Remi," Remi nodded.

"Nice to meet you, Remi," Jaxon said as he held his hand out. Remi looked at his hand before holding his own hand out and shaking out.