Broke Your Beautiful Heart - CHAPTER 64

Patiently, Remi sat on the bed as he waited for Marcelo to come into the room. He'd showered, brushed his teeth, and even cleaned up the room a bit, but Marcelo still hadn't come back.

He was putting Elio to sleep and cleaning up downstairs even though the downstairs area was clean since the two had cleaned up all of the Christmas mess earlier.

Marcelo was just stalling.

He knew that he'd have to finish the conversation with Remi that'd started before all of the gift openings and the happiness—a mood totally opposite of the one dealing with the conversation they had to have.

Therefore, Remi waited in his place, softly rubbing the beautiful necklace that rested around his neck. He would wait all night if he had to.

But thankfully, he didn't because within the next ten minutes, he heard heavy footsteps making their way down the hall before the doorknob turned slowly, and the door opened just as slow. Marcelo slowly slipped in, quietly shutting the door. Then, he turned around, flinching when he saw Remi sitting on the edge of the bed looking at him. He must've thought that he'd be asleep by now.

Nope, you're not getting out of this one.

As the two stared at each other, Marcelo let out an awkward chuckle that soon turned into awkward puffs of air before he said, "You didn't forget, did you?"

"No, why would I?"

"I don't know. Maybe you could just let it go?"

"No, I will not let what you did go. I told you to stop beating yourself up about what happened."

"How do you expect me to? I did the worst thing that I could have ever done. How in the world do you expect me to stop beating myself up about it?"

"Let it go?" Remi quoted Marcelo. "I've told you numerous times that I forgive you, and it's like you don't get that."

"Really? You think that's what it is? You think that I don't get that? Okay, let's remind you of a few things. How do you think I feel when I wake up every morning, when I see you everyday, when I see Elio everyday, when I see Damon everyday, when I see my family everyday, and I have to remember that I cheated on you while you were pregnant with our child—"

"Stop," Remi said, shaking his head. Despite that, Marcelo continued.

"...That I left you to care for yourself when you needed me the most."

"Stop."

"That I was the reason that Elio nearly died as you delivered him."

"Stop," Remi repeated, tears beginning to form in his eyes.

"That I let a woman that I did not care about at all ruin the best thing that I've ever had in my life. That I broke one of my biggest promises to you."

"Stop it, Marcelo," Remi said, his voice cracking now. Marcelo took a step forward to stand closer to Remi.

"That I hurt you so badly that even though you try, you can't look me in the eye without thinking of that god awful letter that I left you. That I was the reason why you believed that it was your fault that Elio wouldn't have his father in his life. That I worsened the trust issues that you already had. That I broke your beautiful heart."

That was it for Remi. He finally broke down and the sobs that tightened his neck and choked him up let themselves free. Already being close to Remi, Marcelo reached out and pulled him close.

"Now, do you see why I can't stop beating myself up about it?" Marcelo whispered.

Remi didn't answer. He just kept letting out his heartbreaking sobs that ripped through Marcelo's chest and tore his heart out, tearing it up. Marcelo comforted Remi the best that he could. Remi clung to Marcelo tightly, hoping that Marcelo never let him go. And Marcelo wouldn't. He would be next to Remi every step of the way. He would never leave again.

"I'm not leaving you ever again, Teo. When I told you that I would never hurt you again, I meant that."

Marcelo slowly walked over to the bed and sat down, letting Remi sit on his lap, hiding his face in his neck. It took a while, but Remi eventually calmed down to where the only thing that was heard was his occasional hiccups and sniffs.

"I'm sorry, Teo."

"I—"

"No, don't say that you forgive me until you really do."

It was silent for a few seconds. Marcelo's words had to replay in Remi's mind a few times for him to really digest them. Then, he nodded as he said lowly, "Okay."