Harsh - CHAPTER 28

"Hey, I um... I have something t-to talk to you about." Remi said, adjusting his phone against his ear as he stood in his bathroom. It's been nearly three weeks since Remi found out that he's pregnant. His stomach has definitely been growing. He's been noticing a tiny pudge at the bottom of it. Remi assumes that he's a bit over one month pregnant.

"Shoot."

"No, n-not over the phone. It's im-important so I w-wanted to come over your p-place."

"Oh, alright. I'm chilling, so you can come on over."

"O-kay."

"Alright, see you then."

"Bye."

"Bye."

Slipping his phone into his pocket, Remi opened the sink counter's drawer and grabbed the pregnancy tests that he'd left inside of them. He was finally going to tell Marcelo about the baby. He was terrified, but he had to do this sooner than later. If roles were reversed, he'd want Marcelo to tell him this sort of news early.

Remi placed the tests into his other pocket and slid into a pair of shoes before leaving. Paxton was still asleep, and his food bowls were full so he'd be okay until Remi got back.

Once he arrived at Marcelo's house, Remi got out of his car and shut the door behind him, locking it. He checked to make sure that he had everything that he needed before he began walking up the driveway, down the path that led to the porch, and up the steps. He lifted a shaky finger and landed it on the doorbell, ringing it. He stepped back and took once again another deep breath. It seemed like that's all he'd been doing lately.

Seconds later, Marcelo was standing behind the glass door, wearing a grey wife beater, suit pants, and socks. He must've just gotten home from work. He smiled. "Hey, Teo."

"Hi."

Marcelo pulled Remi inside and hugged him briefly before placing a hand on his lower back and guiding him over to the couch. He sat down next to Remi and placed an arm around his shoulder. Remi fidgeted with his fingers. It was weird for him when he knew that a big surprise was waiting inside his pocket to be exposed.

"You said that you needed to talk?"

"Y-Yeah." Remi looked up at Marcelo for a second before looking back down at his hands. "Celo, a few w-weeks ago, I noticed that my period was 5 weeks l-late which was unusual because m-my period is always on time. My period has never been l-late until after our anniversary."

Marcelo realized where this was going. He took his arm from around Remi and focused on what Remi was saying.

"I was alw-ways sick and t-tired and moody. I wanted to know w-what was happening s-so I... I went to the store one day, and I b-bought pregnancy tests." Remi pulled the tests out of his pocket and handed them to Marcelo. Marcelo grabbed them and analyzed them.

He read the words on the screen of the digital one, and he saw the crystal clear double lines on the regular test. His suspicions were confirmed. They were pre-assumed suspicions so there's no explanation as to why he then asked,

"How can this be when every time that we had sex, I either pulled out or used a condom?"

"I don't... I don't k-know."

"If you're pregnant, the baby isn't mine."

Remi was shocked. He didn't expect Marcelo's initial reaction to be happy, but he didn't expect this either.

"Celo, you're th-the only one that I've e-ever done anything w-with."

"Obviously not if you're pregnant and we always took precautions with each other."

"Yes. Yes, you a-are. This all s-started after o-our anniversary whe—"

"You should go."

"What?" Remi asked, eyes beginning to gloss and throat beginning to tighten up.

"Go."

"N-No, you h-have to believe me. I don't know. M-Maybe the condom broke, and w-we didn't realize." Remi explained, standing up. A tear slipped down his cheek, but he wiped it up.

"I would've known if that happened, and it didn't. Get out of my house, Remi." Marcelo said as he stood up as well.

His tone made Remi flinch. A sharp pain struck Remi in the chest. Marcelo had never raised his voice at him before. And Marcelo hadn't called Remi Remi since the very beginning of their relationship. The look on Marcelo's face was so icy, so cold. His glare was sharp, and it pierced right through Remi's heart.

A small, innocent sob slipped through Remi's lips. He took one step back away from Marcelo before he turned around and walked away, walking through the front door and out of the house. He ran down the stairs and speed-walked all the way to his car, getting in and driving himself home as he cried the whole way.

Bursting through the door of his apartment, Remi clutched at his chest and walked over to the couch. Another sob was freed as he laid down, clutching a pillow in his arms as his knees were pulled up to his chest.

Paxton walked over to the couch and hopped onto it. He walked over to Remi and whimpered, wondering why Remi was so upset. He wanted to know what or who could possibly hurt his sweet owner so badly. He wanted to ask, but he couldn't. He was only a puppy.

Climbing into the space between the pillow and Remi's chest, Paxton snuggled against Remi and tried to cheer him up by just being there. Remi's body shook as each sob ran through it. He didn't understand.

He knew that Marcelo was against the idea of them having a baby so soon, but why was Marcelo so harsh? Marcelo had never been that way towards him, and that struck fear into his mind. He wanted to know why. What happened?