How to Fall Out of Love - CHAPTER 44

"Mrs. Callum?"

"Yes."

"C-Can you cut him out of me?" Remi asked, referring to Elio. Everyday was a physical struggle. His back and legs hurt like hell. And don't get him started on Braxton Hicks. He'd just now began having them, and they are indeed terrible.

"Who, Elio?"

"Yes, I can't t-take this anymore."

"You only have 7 more weeks, dear."

"Sevennnnnnnnnn."

"Seven is a lot less than the 33 that you've been through."

"But these weeks are m-much, much harder."

"Really? Harder than morning sickness?"

"Well... I-I guess not, but—OOF!" Remi gasped as he felt someone turn him around and pull him into a hug. Remi's eyes burst open as he looked at Mrs. Callum. Mrs. Callum smiled sadly which made Remi a tad bit confused.

"I'm sorry, Remi."

Oh. Jaxon.

"I'm sorry about everything that you've been through. Ma told me, and I swear... I swear that if there's anything that I can do to help you, just let me know."

"O-Okay." Remi strained, not able to breathe because of how hard Jaxon was squeezing him. "J-Jaxon... Eli."

Jaxon squeezed Remi one last time before he let him go. Remi let out a breath of relief and tried to get his breath back. Mrs. Callum ended up going back into her office, so Remi glanced at Jaxon for a split second before turning around to go to the very front of the library.

Since Remi'd finished putting up books for the day, he figured that he could help scan books back in to empty the turn it baskets. Jaxon followed behind him.

When they made it over, Jaxon grabbed the turn in baskets from underneath the front desk and put them on the table. Then, Remi turned the computer on and got the system ready that showed all of the readers' book statuses. When he was ready, Jaxon grabbed the first book in the basket and handed it to him so that he could scan it.

It was quiet for a few minutes. That is until Jaxon broke the silence.

"Do you know if he's gonna come back?"

Remi looked up at Jaxon for a while, thinking. Would Marcelo come back? Remi looked back down and got back to scanning books.

"I don't think s-so. He wanted me to move on and find someone e-else, so I think he might find someone else too. I don't blame him if h-he does. There's nothing special about m-me."

"Really? Do you really think that about yourself?

Remi nodded and continued what he was doing.

"Remi, are you serious? What the hell do you mean there's nothing special about you?" Jaxon whisper-yelled and snatched the book out of Remi's hands. "That's absolute bullshit. You're amazing. I've only known you for four months, and I can already tell that you're the most genuine, kind-hearted, and gentle person ever."

"That o-obviously doesn't mean anything to him."

"And that's why he's the fool. But don't let him make you down yourself. Don't let him turn your heart cold. You're perfect just the way you are. And I swear if I wasn't such a bottom bitch, I would show you that."

Remi cracked a small smile.

"I mean, come on. He not only left you, but he left Elio. That shows how much of a 'good' person he is."

"Don't talk about h-him like that."

"What do you mean don't talk about him li—oh my gosh.... Remi... you're still in love with him, aren't you?"

Remi looked away and exhaled. Hearing those words come out of someone else's mouth was a lot to take in. Jaxon grabbed his chin and pulled him back forward.

"Aren't you?"

"S-So what if I am?"

"Well, nothing, but that's not... that's not healthy."

"Being neglected by your p-parents isn't healthy, being abused th-throughout your teenage years isn't healthy, sleeping in the c-cold for weeks in the middle of the city isn't healthy, not eating for days on end isn't h-healthy, crying yourself to sleep every night while y-you're pregnant is not healthy. But do you think that m-my life is fair? No, it's not. But what the h-hell can I do? Nothing." Remi hiccuped. He moved around Jaxon and walked towards the back of the library where his comfort spot was.

Slumping down onto one of the beanbags, Remi put his hands over his mouth and sobbed quietly. He couldn't help his feelings. It hurt to say it, but even if Marcelo did something worse than leaving him, he would still love him. Truth was, he would forever be in love with Marcelo. Of course, that'll hurt, but Remi couldn't help it. He couldn't find a way to fall out of love with Marcelo no matter how hard he tried.

"Shh, I got you. I didn't mean to make you upset."

It was only then that Remi realized that Jaxon was sitting next to him, engulfing him into a hug. Remi leaned into Jaxon's side as he cried hard. It didn't help that his hormones were skyrocketed since he was 8 months pregnant.

Jaxon shushed Remi soothingly and rocked him back and forth as he whispered comforting words to him. Hearing Remi cry for the first time broke his heart. And knowing that he himself was the one that made Remi cry was even worse.

Once he'd calmed down, Remi sniffed and wiped the tears off of his face. He was all pink with wet eyelashes now. Jaxon sat him up and looked at him.

"Okay now?"

Remi shrugged.

"I'm sorry. I went too far by saying what I said. Your status with Marcelo has nothing to do with me, so I should have minded my business with that."

"No, y-you were right. I shouldn't be s-still in love with him, but I can't help it. It's like we're magnets, and I'm drawn to h-him. No matter how hard I t-try to get away from him, my m-mind keeps yanking me back to him."

"Yeah. Ma told me how close you guys were." Remi nodded. "Who knows. Maybe he can't stop thinking about you either."

"Then why won't h-he come back?" Remi questioned, his voice cracking.

"His pride, maybe. Or the fact the he just really thinks that he doesn't deserve you. Insecurities are a thing."

"But he knows th-that we don't judge each other."

"Maybe something internal happened to him that you don't know about."

"But what would that be?"

Jaxon shrugged.

I guess no one will know until Marcelo speaks up.